Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

I didn't expect to do this well this semester, so I'm still kind of processing it and going over my options.

Is top 15% a good enough result at a mid-T14 to give me a decent chance at transferring to HYS (and if not, what would be), and is that a good or terrible idea? I'm planning on BigLaw and also want a federal clerkship. I've got about a half-ride, but fortunately I'm in a position to pay tuition out of pocket - that's still a hell of a lot of money that I'd be leaving on the table, but I wouldn't have to worry about the debt. My gut impulse is that it doesn't make any sense to transfer because of missing journal/already great options at my current school/just the hassle of moving, but I'd like some other opinions.

Alternatively, I've heard that some schools will increase your scholarship if they hear you're considering transferring - is that a possibility at a mid-T14?

yyyuppp

Bronze

Re: Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS?

Post by yyyuppp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 am

do it again or better second semester, and you'll have a shot at H (Y or S if you can get up significantly higher). I got in there with about the same grades from a lower T14. I don't know how common it is. I also would likely have gotten scholarship money from Harvard because they give scholarships as need-based aid (and I was over 29, so i qualified for the full thing according the previous transfers). I decided not to go, even though the cost would have been the same.

I think transferring makes sense when transferring significantly increases your chances of achieving the outcome you want.So, ask yourself whether that would be the case (seems like you are). This might mean getting access or better access to your target market or an overall more significant chance at biglaw.

I will say that if you want to clerk, you should think about staying, especially if you get on law review. You likely won't get it at Harvard (though not impossible), and some judges filter apps this way, or at least prefer it. You will also give up some connections to professors who could write for you. Though, i would imagine that if you made good connections with professors during 1L, they would still help you. though who knows. also, at Harvard you are just another JD candidate, whereas for judges that like to hire from your 1L school , you will stand out. Its not clear if judges will care if you're from Harvard or some other great school. your grades are what they are. maybe you get pulled from a pile or two more, who knows though.

If you plan to stay in the market where your school places well, then there is less value to transferring to harvard, as it won't help you that much both at OCI and into your career. if you need to leave, it may likely be the case that a Harvard would be a more visible school for firms in the other market.

transferring also makes sense if you' need to move for personal reasons.

of course, there is always that prestige feeling. just figure out what that is worth to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 am

yyyuppp wrote:do it again or better second semester, and you'll have a shot at H (Y or S if you can get up significantly higher). I got in there with about the same grades from a lower T14. I don't know how common it is. I also would likely have gotten scholarship money from Harvard because they give scholarships as need-based aid (and I was over 29, so i qualified for the full thing according the previous transfers). I decided not to go, even though the cost would have been the same.

I think transferring makes sense when transferring significantly increases your chances of achieving the outcome you want.So, ask yourself whether that would be the case (seems like you are). This might mean getting access or better access to your target market or an overall more significant chance at biglaw.

I will say that if you want to clerk, you should think about staying, especially if you get on law review. You likely won't get it at Harvard (though not impossible), and some judges filter apps this way, or at least prefer it. You will also give up some connections to professors who could write for you. Though, i would imagine that if you made good connections with professors during 1L, they would still help you. though who knows. also, at Harvard you are just another JD candidate, whereas for judges that like to hire from your 1L school , you will stand out. Its not clear if judges will care if you're from Harvard or some other great school. your grades are what they are. maybe you get pulled from a pile or two more, who knows though.

If you plan to stay in the market where your school places well, then there is less value to transferring to harvard, as it won't help you that much both at OCI and into your career. if you need to leave, it may likely be the case that a Harvard would be a more visible school for firms in the other market.

transferring also makes sense if you' need to move for personal reasons.

of course, there is always that prestige feeling. just figure out what that is worth to you.
Thanks for the response. Can I ask how you made your decision not to transfer? Also, was it at all strange to ask your professors to write letters for you, get in, and then decide to stay? I feel like I'd be jerking them around if I asked for LORs before I really knew for certain that I'd transfer if accepted.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Good grades at a mid-T14 are good enough to get a federal clerkship and biglaw. I'd only think of transferring if you'd be paying less at HYS. Otherwise the increased cost isn't worth whatever marginal gain in outcomes you'd get.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yyyuppp wrote:
Thanks for the response. Can I ask how you made your decision not to transfer? Also, was it at all strange to ask your professors to write letters for you, get in, and then decide to stay? I feel like I'd be jerking them around if I asked for LORs before I really knew for certain that I'd transfer if accepted.
i stayed cuz of friends, clerking, law review, the cost was the same, and i couldn't really figure out what harvard would get me that northwestern wouldn't, given my goals. it was a hard choice, was literally going back and forth the final day I had to decide. 3L now, and pretty happy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 am

Dcc617 wrote:Good grades at a mid-T14 are good enough to get a federal clerkship and biglaw. I'd only think of transferring if you'd be paying less at HYS. Otherwise the increased cost isn't worth whatever marginal gain in outcomes you'd get.
I think this is TCR. Staying also means OP can deepen the relationships they've already developed with profs at their current school, instead of starting all over from ground zero.

The main advantage of attending YSH is the downside protection (e.g., you can clerk from median at Yale). That doesn't apply to someone who's in the top 15% at a lower T13.

If OP were shooting for a unicorn outcome, it might make sense to try to transfer to Yale. But OP wants clerking and BigLaw, which is readily attainable from their current school.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm

I got rejected with this profile, but had some weighty pre-law c&f disclosures and my PS sucked (retrospectively). I think there's probably a lot more discretion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”