Transfer Question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi!
I’m attending a school ranked 100-130. I finished 4th in my class (top 4%) and am looking at transferring.

However, on my LSAC account, I have an undergrad I attended briefly for a semester that I cannot get the transcript from for financial reasons.

The school will not give me any transcript or work with me.

It didn’t really affect my initial apps because it didn’t hinder my CAS report since I didn’t use any of those credits towards my degree.

My question is: will this be a hard stop at schools? Does anyone know which top schools (highT1-T14) that wouldn’t mind this?

wishywashy

New

Re: Transfer Question

Post by wishywashy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Each of the t14 lists this on their admissions webpage. Off the top of my head Columbia and Harvard need those certifications from undergrad institutions you attended. Your situation sounds specific so you might call and ask if they have a way to work around that. Regardless, there are several t14 that don't need certifications from undergrad schools unless you got a degree from them. I would imagine the t20 is the same. You'll want to check out the school's admission pages anyways to get a feel for where you want to go, but each school should have this in their FAQs or somewhere on their admissions page or how to apply section (or application requirements section - you get the idea).

As a higher ranked t2 to a lower t14 transfer myself I will say this - it was 100% worth it for me. If I were you I would put together enough cash to apply broadly in the t14 and t20 or get waivers if you can (you can find many "what are my chances" threads and work out were to apply based on your numbers and the 509 ABA disclosures). I was squeamish about dropping $500 to $1000 on apps but I feel like the extra margin of safety is worth it. You never know how your application will turn out and sometimes your numbers will suggest you are a lock but things might not work out that way (of course if the school says the lack of the transcripts is a hard stop then don't waste the cash to apply there).

Best of luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”