Can You Back Out After Being Admitted? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bongcha

New

Can You Back Out After Being Admitted?

Post by bongcha » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

If I got into a school as a transfer, but I am still waiting for other schools, can I accept the first school and IF I get into the school I am waiting for rescind my intent to go to the first school?

Essentially, I am in at Rutgers and Loyola. Rutgers wants me to accept the seat by August 1.
However, I am still waiting on other schools, that can accept me until August 13.

Can I accept Rutgers, but if I get into somewhere else, tell Rutgers "nevermind"?
I get that it could be unprofessional, but is it allowed?

kengh

Bronze

Re: Can You Back Out After Being Admitted?

Post by kengh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Yes. Lots of people do this.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 pm

What stick do they have? You'd lose any deposit but that's probably it.

StandardWhiteGuy32

New

Post by StandardWhiteGuy32 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 am

I'd look at the acceptance language. If, like NYU/Columbia, you need to withdraw from your other opportunities before you can accept, then I wouldn't risk it. ^That wahoo's probably right, and they don't have any stick. However, if they were vindictive, they might send a letter to the bar re: how your acceptance and withdrawal portrays your C&F. That's what I'm worried about, anyway.

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 am

StandardWhiteGuy32 wrote:I'd look at the acceptance language. If, like NYU/Columbia, you need to withdraw from your other opportunities before you can accept, then I wouldn't risk it. ^That wahoo's probably right, and they don't have any stick. However, if they were vindictive, they might send a letter to the bar re: how your acceptance and withdrawal portrays your C&F. That's what I'm worried about, anyway.
Generally that only applies to opportunities you know about. They can't force you to withdraw from schools you haven't heard from. So, if you accept a school that requires you to withdraw from other places that you have been accepted to it would be bad if you didn't withdraw and later decided to enroll at one of those schools. But it's fine to leave pending apps in and accept an offer to a school that you didn't have an offer from when you committed to the first school.

Source: LSAC and NALP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdotl

New

Post by jdotl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:42 pm

i was able to

swishsquish

New

Post by swishsquish » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Just paid my deposit for safety school. any movement for emory?

Toaster24

New

Post by Toaster24 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Paid my deposit for my safety school and created a schedule, began recruitment, received assistance from career development in drafting my cover letter and applying for OCI. I didn't land any interviews but was selected as alternate for a few firms because I applied late. Now I've been admitted to a better school. Any issues not enrolling at my safety school even though I began recruitment?

tier4_partner

New

Post by tier4_partner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:34 am

StandardWhiteGuy32 wrote:I'd look at the acceptance language. If, like NYU/Columbia, you need to withdraw from your other opportunities before you can accept, then I wouldn't risk it. ^That wahoo's probably right, and they don't have any stick. However, if they were vindictive, they might send a letter to the bar re: how your acceptance and withdrawal portrays your C&F. That's what I'm worried about, anyway.
You can’t be serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

braves95

New

Post by braves95 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:18 pm

swishsquish wrote:Just paid my deposit for safety school. any movement for emory?

Same here! Not that I know of. My friend got accepted Friday before classes started last fall :oops: .

swishsquish

New

Post by swishsquish » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:23 pm

braves95 wrote:
swishsquish wrote:Just paid my deposit for safety school. any movement for emory?

Same here! Not that I know of. My friend got accepted Friday before classes started last fall :oops: .
That just made my stomach churn :shock:

braves95

New

Post by braves95 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:56 pm

swishsquish wrote:
braves95 wrote:

I think they wait until the end to see what all candidates they have since their deadline is so late!

braves95

New

Post by braves95 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm

swishsquish wrote:
braves95 wrote:

Apparently I can’t PM you back. It says I haven’t posted enough. I think they make acceptance phone calls and rejection emails. Do you know your friends stats by any chance? My friend was top 25% at a T4 law school and got in last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swishsquish

New

Post by swishsquish » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:42 pm

braves95 wrote:
swishsquish wrote:
braves95 wrote:

Apparently I can’t PM you back. It says I haven’t posted enough. I think they make acceptance phone calls and rejection emails. Do you know your friends stats by any chance? My friend was top 25% at a T4 law school and got in last year.
I believe in the 30%-35% range at a T4.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *breathe* 8)

braves95

New

Post by braves95 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm

swishsquish wrote:
braves95 wrote:
swishsquish wrote:
braves95 wrote:

I believe in the 30%-35% range at a T4.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *breathe* 8)
Those numbers sounds great to me! Lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”