St. Johns –> WUSTL Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at SJ or Transfer to WUSTL

TRANSFER TO WUSTL
58%
STAY AT SJ
42%

Total votes: 12

Biningtonjoe

New

St. Johns –> WUSTL

Post by Biningtonjoe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Recently, after ranking in the top 15% of my class at St. Johns, I applied for a transfer to WUSTL and have been accepted. I am receiving about a half scholarship at St. Johns. While I received a transfer scholarship from WUSTL, It was very little. Ultimately, attending WUSTL would put me in about 45k more debt than I would be in graduating from SJ. I did not make SJ LR and would be able to take a crack at WUSTL LR (I was not able to do SJ writing competition because of unfortunate circumstances). The employment statistics are a lot better from WUSTL, and while it is not T14 - it is still T20. I would like to end up back in NY, but realistically I would be content in any major city as well - IE Chicago, Nashville, St Louis. While I am not necessarily gunning for biglaw, the added chance at obtaining it from WUSTL is appealing. I don't feel like I maxed out my potential at SJ and believe I can place at least above the median at WUSTL. I am looking for advice on whether it would be worth it to take on the extra debt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Biningtonjoe

New

Re: St. Johns –> WUSTL

Post by Biningtonjoe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 am

Bump***

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 am

Is it possible for you to participate in WUSTL’s OCI? And do you want big Law?

Biningtonjoe

New

Post by Biningtonjoe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm

A shot at Biglaw would be ideal. I would not be able to directly participate in their oci but their CSO said they will have no issue placeing me in front of all the same employers that are coming down.

ReganSays

New

Post by ReganSays » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Biningtonjoe wrote:A shot at Biglaw would be ideal. I would not be able to directly participate in their oci but their CSO said they will have no issue placeing me in front of all the same employers that are coming down.
How are they planning to do that? Direct approach? Greeter program? Hospitality suite? Not being able to participate in OCI seems like it would be a deal breaker to me. Do you have a shot at Big Law being Top 15% at St. John's?

I think you ultimately have to go with your gut and decide if 45K more debt is worth the better shot at Big Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Biningtonjoe

New

Post by Biningtonjoe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm

I mean, up until this point I am participating in SJL oci and will see this coming Monday if I get any interviews. I have been told by SJL CSO that the top 10% are the students that have the most success with OCI. AT WSUTL, I plan to mass mail, attend OCI receptions and utilize WUSTL CSO.

Biningtonjoe

New

Post by Biningtonjoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 am

Any other input or considerations would be greatly appreciated. At this point, the decision seems like a toss up to me.

Biningtonjoe

New

Post by Biningtonjoe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:27 am

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”