Harvard v Stanford Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Harvard v Stanford

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello
I was accepted into both Harvard and Stanford as a transfer. I just have until tomorrow to decide about Harvard. I currently want to practice big law civil litigation in the Bay Area. However, i want to work for federal government after a few years.

Harvard seems to have some great classes and clinics in my area of interest. But Stanford has a better network in the Bay.

What should I do?

10b5

New

Re: Harvard v Stanford

Post by 10b5 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello
I was accepted into both Harvard and Stanford as a transfer. I just have until tomorrow to decide about Harvard. I currently want to practice big law civil litigation in the Bay Area. However, i want to work for federal government after a few years.

Harvard seems to have some great classes and clinics in my area of interest. But Stanford has a better network in the Bay.

What should I do?
Congrats, they are both amazing options. Speaking as an Harvard alum (so I'm biased) HLS has an outstanding (and large) network, to the extent that I've never been unable to find someone very well placed in any field in any part of the country that wasn't willing to help me out. Emailing from an HLS email address does a huge amount for you - way more than my Columbia undergrad email ever did. If HLS appeals to you, don't choose Stanford based on networking. If you're leaning Stanford, you can't go wrong.

I will say, and I acknowledge the lame absurdity of this, that the lay and professional prestige HLS has continues to be useful and enjoyable, long after the degree is over.

omgomghi

New

Post by omgomghi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello

What should I do?
I'm in the same boat with those two acceptances. For Bay Area, I'd go to Stanford for sure. PM me if you want to talk more.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Try this:

Grab a coin.
Flip it.
While it’s in the air, call it heads or tails; Harvard or Stanford.
By the time the coin lands, or shortly after you see the result, you’ll get a feeling that you would really rather the coin land on X.

This may help you sort which way you are leaning. The point is not to let the coin decide, but to let the coin show if you have already decided in some part of your mind.

Good problem to have. Grats to you and much luck in your future endeavors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”