deleted Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

deleted

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 am

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolstudent

New

Re: transfer Harvard or Berkeley

Post by Lolstudent » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

I wouldn’t worry about not being on law review at Harvard. You could always walk/write onto a secondary journal.

I think it’s frowned upon, if not forbidden, to do your school’s OCI if you know you are going to transfer. I believe this is the case even when you don’t do the new school’s OCI, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Best of luck to you. The transfer process is crazy and so fast-paced.

TransferHopeful2k18

New

Post by TransferHopeful2k18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm

That $ from Berkeley could matter a lot ...

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello. I currently attend a Tier 2 school in the west coast and have a great scholarship. I was admitted into Harvard and Berkeley. My long-term goal is to practice law in California. I'm not sure where I should go. I have not yet heard from Stanford yet. I was admitted but declined Georgetown, UCLA, and put on hold at Chicago.

My concern is due to some personal and work-related reasons, I cannot physically move to Harvard in time to participate in OCI. However, I would be able to participate in my current school's OCI or Berkeley's. I also missed the Harvard write-on.

Obviously, Stanford would be the ideal situation, but is a long shot. I don't think they've admitted anyone from my current school in the last 10 years. I also wasn't ranked #1.

Is it better to attend Berkeley and do OCI and have the possibility of making journal? I also received some gift aid from Berkeley. Or should I attend Harvard, participate in current school OCI, and have no chance of being on journal, and spend a lot in aid?
Maybe don't move to Boston, but just Fly there for OCI (it is seriously worth it and the best OCI pretty much in the country).

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Dude, just figure it out and go to Harvard's OCI. Break whatever commitment you have, max out a credit card or take a loan if money is an issue, and make the commitment to yourself to do what's best for your career.

You're in a really good position, and if you're only not going to Harvard because of missing OCI, blowoff whatever the commitment is and get to OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:Dude, just figure it out and go to Harvard's OCI. Break whatever commitment you have, max out a credit card or take a loan if money is an issue, and make the commitment to yourself to do what's best for your career.

You're in a really good position, and if you're only not going to Harvard because of missing OCI, blowoff whatever the commitment is and get to OCI.
This. 110% this.

notellewoods

Bronze

Post by notellewoods » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:49 am

Dude, go to Harvard.

empiricish

New

Post by empiricish » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Go to Harvard

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Transfers are in the weird situation where Harvard may be cheaper than other T14 schools, since you still qualify for need aid. COA should factor into your decision.

Regarding OCI, if you want biglaw then that week is the absolutely most important one of your entire career. You have to be there. I can’t speak to Berkeley’s, but Harvard’s OCI is a great place to be if you want a job. You should just get an Airbnb or something to get there if you end up at Harvard, whatever dumb thing you think is preventing you should absolutely not be a factor.

Also, the journal concern is weird. Law review is basically for your OCI resume. And I think you missed the write on boat for anywhere. That being said, you don’t have to write on to any other journals at Harvard. At least I don’t think so. I refused to do any journals and am super pleased with that decision so far.

nubcs

New

Post by nubcs » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:10 pm

It sounds like you can’t make Harvard’s OCI due to some other reason, but if housing’s an issue, I can offer you a place to stay. My roommate is skipping EIP because he already has an offer so we have room.

As for journals, LR is the only one at HLS with a write-on component. You can walk onto any other journal, many of which are the most-cited in their respective fields, so if you’re looking for that sort of thing, it’s still available.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”