DOING A "SECOND TRANSFER" Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NWL2020

New

DOING A "SECOND TRANSFER"

Post by NWL2020 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:32 pm

I started law school at a tier 3/4 school in the Chicago area which is pretty much near the bottom of the bottom except for two or three specialty rankings. I barely made it into the top 40 percent of my class, but despite this, I got accepted to a top 25 law school. My GPA was a 3.05. I think my application essay had a large part to do with it. It brought one of my professors who wrote a recommendation letter for me to tears after she read it. I've only done one semester at my new school, but I'm having issues with the new city I'm in and I really want to move back to Chicago where I started law school. I also have family issues that cause me to want to move back. I know a lot of you are going to say "stick it out", but if you were in my shoes you probably would change your mind. I know since I have completed three semesters of law school I will lose a semester if I transfer again. I want to move back to Chicago, but I don't want to go down in the ranking if I do (Loyola, Depaul, Kent and JMLS aren't an option). My old school said I could come back but it would be unwise to go back to a tier 3/4 school where I barely finished in the top 40 percent. I applied to Northwestern and would like to know thoughts on what people think my odds are transferring there. Unfortunately, I finished the one semester I had at the top 25 school with a GPA below a 3.0. I didn't get anything below a C+. I was told that if you do a second transfer and you've done more than two semesters, they will primarily look at your 1L grades. Don't know how true this is. I submitted mostly the same application essay to Northwestern. I know my chances are low, but despite my GPA and this potentially being my second transfer, I didn't promptly receive a rejection letter and Northwestern started notifying people of their acceptances two weeks ago. Do you guys think my application is being considered or do you beleive they're just waiting to hand out rejection letters all at once?

hoos89

Gold

Re: DOING A "SECOND TRANSFER"

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:15 pm

NWL2020 wrote:I started law school at a tier 3/4 school in the Chicago area which is pretty much near the bottom of the bottom except for two or three specialty rankings. I barely made it into the top 40 percent of my class, but despite this, I got accepted to a top 25 law school. My GPA was a 3.05. I think my application essay had a large part to do with it. It brought one of my professors who wrote a recommendation letter for me to tears after she read it. I've only done one semester at my new school, but I'm having issues with the new city I'm in and I really want to move back to Chicago where I started law school. I also have family issues that cause me to want to move back. I know a lot of you are going to say "stick it out", but if you were in my shoes you probably would change your mind. I know since I have completed three semesters of law school I will lose a semester if I transfer again. I want to move back to Chicago, but I don't want to go down in the ranking if I do (Loyola, Depaul, Kent and JMLS aren't an option). My old school said I could come back but it would be unwise to go back to a tier 3/4 school where I barely finished in the top 40 percent. I applied to Northwestern and would like to know thoughts on what people think my odds are transferring there. Unfortunately, I finished the one semester I had at the top 25 school with a GPA below a 3.0. I didn't get anything below a C+. I was told that if you do a second transfer and you've done more than two semesters, they will primarily look at your 1L grades. Don't know how true this is. I submitted mostly the same application essay to Northwestern. I know my chances are low, but despite my GPA and this potentially being my second transfer, I didn't promptly receive a rejection letter and Northwestern started notifying people of their acceptances two weeks ago. Do you guys think my application is being considered or do you beleive they're just waiting to hand out rejection letters all at once?
Not sure I've ever heard of anyone transferring after 2L, but I have heard of people doing a visiting student thing 3L, where the diploma is still from the school they transferred to. That's probably your best bet at this point (not sure if it's too later for that or not). Highly doubt you get admitted to Northwestern as a transfer.

mjackson2

New

Post by mjackson2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:30 am

hoos89 wrote:
NWL2020 wrote:I started law school at a tier 3/4 school in the Chicago area which is pretty much near the bottom of the bottom except for two or three specialty rankings. I barely made it into the top 40 percent of my class, but despite this, I got accepted to a top 25 law school. My GPA was a 3.05. I think my application essay had a large part to do with it. It brought one of my professors who wrote a recommendation letter for me to tears after she read it. I've only done one semester at my new school, but I'm having issues with the new city I'm in and I really want to move back to Chicago where I started law school. I also have family issues that cause me to want to move back. I know a lot of you are going to say "stick it out", but if you were in my shoes you probably would change your mind. I know since I have completed three semesters of law school I will lose a semester if I transfer again. I want to move back to Chicago, but I don't want to go down in the ranking if I do (Loyola, Depaul, Kent and JMLS aren't an option). My old school said I could come back but it would be unwise to go back to a tier 3/4 school where I barely finished in the top 40 percent. I applied to Northwestern and would like to know thoughts on what people think my odds are transferring there. Unfortunately, I finished the one semester I had at the top 25 school with a GPA below a 3.0. I didn't get anything below a C+. I was told that if you do a second transfer and you've done more than two semesters, they will primarily look at your 1L grades. Don't know how true this is. I submitted mostly the same application essay to Northwestern. I know my chances are low, but despite my GPA and this potentially being my second transfer, I didn't promptly receive a rejection letter and Northwestern started notifying people of their acceptances two weeks ago. Do you guys think my application is being considered or do you beleive they're just waiting to hand out rejection letters all at once?
Not sure I've ever heard of anyone transferring after 2L, but I have heard of people doing a visiting student thing 3L, where the diploma is still from the school they transferred to. That's probably your best bet at this point (not sure if it's too later for that or not). Highly doubt you get admitted to Northwestern as a transfer.
Thanks for your input.

Lolstudent

New

Post by Lolstudent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:01 am

Do you have significant work experience? If so, Northwestern may seriously be considering your application.

Honestly, I’d recommend staying put. You don’t want to lose a semester’s worth of work. Just grind it out and finish as soon as possible by taking extra courses, summer courses, etc.

Good luck to you!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 am

Lolstudent wrote:Do you have significant work experience? If so, Northwestern may seriously be considering your application.

Honestly, I’d recommend staying put. You don’t want to lose a semester’s worth of work. Just grind it out and finish as soon as possible by taking extra courses, summer courses, etc.

Good luck to you!
A lot of (all?) schools require 6 semesters completed to graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjackson2

New

Post by mjackson2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 am

Lolstudent wrote:Do you have significant work experience? If so, Northwestern may seriously be considering your application.

Good luck to you!
I don't have years of significant work experience, but I had a full time job during my last year in undergrad working in an office and I had another full time job for a year after I finished undergrad. I was also a TA, law clerk, and research assistant my 1L year.

ivankinghk

New

Post by ivankinghk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:34 am

I transferred ( after 2 attempts) after spending 4 semesters at T4 (including summer term, you probably know which school im talking about). I attempted to transfer after 1L while i was in my summer term ), and got accepted to a couple T100 schools. I was in the top, i dont know, 5- 10%. I decided to wait for another semester and transfer again in my 4th semester and finally got accepted to T20. (btw I also re-applied to schools that accepted me in my first attempt and got a few to accept me again)

Not sure if my story is relevant, but i think if i could do it after 4 semesters, you probably could too, but i had better grades. I also had to spend 2 years at my new school.

good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”