When to take transfer school off resume? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to take transfer school off resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Wasn't able to find anything really definitive on this. Was wondering when the appropriate time (if ever) is to remove the school you transferred out of from your resume. Graduation? First job? Thanks in advance.

RecruiterMan

New

Re: When to take transfer school off resume?

Post by RecruiterMan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Never. You wear that Scarlet T for life my friend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 pm

RecruiterMan wrote:Never. You wear that Scarlet T for life my friend.
Actually? Seems kind of dumb considering like 99% of the reason people transfer up is because of the prestige increase and subsequent job opportunities. Whats the point of the transfer if you're just going to be treated like you're from the original school...

LawSchoolGeeky

New

Post by LawSchoolGeeky » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RecruiterMan wrote:Never. You wear that Scarlet T for life my friend.
Actually? Seems kind of dumb considering like 99% of the reason people transfer up is because of the prestige increase and subsequent job opportunities. Whats the point of the transfer if you're just going to be treated like you're from the original school...
The poster above is obviously being sarcastic. I'd say you could take it off by the time you graduate and just list the law school you graduated from under your education section.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 am

When you graduate law school you should only list the school where you received your diploma. If they want to see grades then show them both transcripts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LitigatingLiar

Bronze

Post by LitigatingLiar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:08 pm

The resume is just a snap shot that is supposed to get you to the interview. If you have a strong work history and it prevents you from keeping the resume to one page, then don't put it. Since at my current school, I've made Dean's List, I was told it was more important to highlight my strong academic record and work experience. When you're at the interview you can discuss it or provide them the transcripts if they ask.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:48 pm

northwood wrote:When you graduate law school you should only list the school where you received your diploma. If they want to see grades then show them both transcripts.
I agree with this advice. Obviously, don't write anything inaccurate (i.e., don't list yourself as having spent three years at your transfer school, when in reality you only spent two years there). But otherwise, I'd say no need to put your 1L school on your resume/LinkedIn/whatnot. Resumes are all about curated info, and the fact that you attended a different law school for 1L is, I'd say, something that can be cut (just like, say, the retail job you worked before college).

(Of course, for background checking purposes, you should disclose your 1L school.)

TransferAdvice18

New

Post by TransferAdvice18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 am

I also transferred and just finished my first semester at my new school. Career services said to take off our 1L school after we get grades from our new school.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:00 pm

You can take it off, but interviewers will ask how you managed to graduate from law school in 2 years.

Of course, you could list just your graduation year, or no dates at all, but you won't be able to do that at least until you're lateralling as a mid-level.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

There’s no problem at all with just listing graduation date, once you’ve graduated. You don’t have to wait to be a midlevel or something.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Wild Card wrote:Of course, you could list just your graduation year
Which is what everyone does, so I don't know why that was listed as a secondary option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”