Transfer to Berkeley? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer to Berkeley?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to decide whether to accept an offer to transfer to UC Berkeley. The decision is way harder than I've was initially expecting, and I would be grateful for your thoughts.

First, I'm ultimately hoping to practice in the midwest or east coast in a big law and eventually government job (also considering academia). I'm currently at a higher ranked T2 that is respected in its market, but has a much more limited network outside of that. The school is giving me a fair amount of money in scholarship (~80% of tuition), and I potentially have a TA position lined up for the spring semester (possibly fall, too), and was invited to the school's flagship journal.

It's unclear whether I will receive any aid from UCB, but I'm not expecting much (if any). My initial thought is that the name-recognition and quality of academics at UCB is probably worth it, plus I'm kind of lukewarm about where I'm at now. But the scholarship at my current school and leadership opportunities are making me hesitate...

Thoughts?

Lolstudent

New

Re: Transfer to Berkeley?

Post by Lolstudent » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 pm

I’m in the same boat. I didn’t seriously think I’d be accepted and now I have a week to decide.

We are in a good spot because staying at our current schools will likely result in a good outcome. My decision will be based on the need based aid they give me. I’m not expecting a year’s tuition, but 30-40k would be nice!

Is that expecting too much?

regalegalbeagle

New

Post by regalegalbeagle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Same here. Top 2% at a respected T2 in the area, accepted to BLS. I can't decide if the better name/reputation is worth paying sticker price for the next two years. Have about 85% of tuition covered at my current school, plus similar TA offers, flagship journal, etc.

I would like to practice locally (Bay Area) or Southern California, probably not interested in leaving CA. Trying to do BigLaw and then government law, potential academic ambitions. I don't expect to get any need-based aid from Berkeley.

The trade-offs are really hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Lolstudent wrote:I’m in the same boat. I didn’t seriously think I’d be accepted and now I have a week to decide.

We are in a good spot because staying at our current schools will likely result in a good outcome. My decision will be based on the need based aid they give me. I’m not expecting a year’s tuition, but 30-40k would be nice!

Is that expecting too much?
Yes, it's definitely not a bad problem to have. I wish I knew, but here's hoping!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:46 pm

regalegalbeagle wrote:Same here. Top 2% at a respected T2 in the area, accepted to BLS. I can't decide if the better name/reputation is worth paying sticker price for the next two years. Have about 85% of tuition covered at my current school, plus similar TA offers, flagship journal, etc.

I would like to practice locally (Bay Area) or Southern California, probably not interested in leaving CA. Trying to do BigLaw and then government law, potential academic ambitions. I don't expect to get any need-based aid from Berkeley.

I hear you. If your current school's in California, maybe not? I feel like that career path is totally do-able if you stay at your well-respected T2. If you really want to get into academia, maybe Berkeley has the advantage there?

numisma87

New

Post by numisma87 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:26 am

regalegalbeagle wrote:Same here. Top 2% at a respected T2 in the area, accepted to BLS. I can't decide if the better name/reputation is worth paying sticker price for the next two years. Have about 85% of tuition covered at my current school, plus similar TA offers, flagship journal, etc.

Yeah, you should just stay at your TT -- sounds like you would be giving up a lot transferring. Must be nice to have 85% tuition covered :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”