Transfer Interview Tips? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawwwwyeringnw

New

Transfer Interview Tips?

Post by lawwwwyeringnw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi All,
I have an interview with U of Washington later this week. For those who had their interviews, could you please share the questions that you encountered during the interview? [not limited to UW transfer interviews]

Thank you very much!

trmckenz

Bronze

Re: Transfer Interview Tips?

Post by trmckenz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

I had an interview with UT last week. An admissions officer and a professor interviewed me. It was about a 50-50 split between me explaining my reasons why I wanted to transfer, and the admissions officer and professor selling the school to me. Very conversational.

The first thing on the agenda was, "please tell us a little about yourself and why you want to transfer." I basically summarized my personal statement. I also received questions about which class was my favorite, and why, and what I thought about my current school. When speaking about UT, I name-dropped a few professors that teach in a specialty of interest (IP). I also talked about the city in which the school is located, and how that aligns with my interests.

Apart from that, I listened to the spiel of professors, journals, OCI, and other opportunities available at the new school. When asked if I had any questions, I asked, "what do you guys look for in a transfer applicant?" From there, I could sell myself more. Overall, it went well enough to receive a conditional offer of acceptance the next day.

Good luck!

lawwwwyeringnw

New

Post by lawwwwyeringnw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

trmckenz wrote:I had an interview with UT last week. An admissions officer and a professor interviewed me. It was about a 50-50 split between me explaining my reasons why I wanted to transfer, and the admissions officer and professor selling the school to me. Very conversational.

The first thing on the agenda was, "please tell us a little about yourself and why you want to transfer." I basically summarized my personal statement. I also received questions about which class was my favorite, and why, and what I thought about my current school. When speaking about UT, I name-dropped a few professors that teach in a specialty of interest (IP). I also talked about the city in which the school is located, and how that aligns with my interests.

Apart from that, I listened to the spiel of professors, journals, OCI, and other opportunities available at the new school. When asked if I had any questions, I asked, "what do you guys look for in a transfer applicant?" From there, I could sell myself more. Overall, it went well enough to receive a conditional offer of acceptance the next day.

Good luck!
Thank you! And Congratulations!!!

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 pm

lawwwwyeringnw wrote:Hi All,
I have an interview with U of Washington later this week. For those who had their interviews, could you please share the questions that you encountered during the interview? [not limited to UW transfer interviews]

Thank you very much!
I interviewed with uwash. Just know some stuff about the school. They are so nice and basically sell the school to you and allow you to ask anything. Very laid back! Good luck!

lawwwwyeringnw

New

Post by lawwwwyeringnw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 pm

kengh wrote:

Thank you very much!
I interviewed with uwash. Just know some stuff about the school. They are so nice and basically sell the school to you and allow you to ask anything. Very laid back! Good luck!
Good to know! Thank you! One more question tho, did you hear back from them very soon after the interview?
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

lawwwwyeringnw wrote:
kengh wrote:

Thank you very much!
Good to know! Thank you! One more question tho, did you hear back from them very soon after the interview?
Thanks!
Got in the next day! Same thing happened for two of my friends as well!

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Not specific to that school, but in general, be ready for the oddball question. I interviewed as a transfer with a T13 last cycle and they asked "Which is the higher form of satire: SNL or the Onion?" Seemed to me like they just want to see if you can think on your feet so you don't blow a real interview or something along those lines.

Ohyouknow1234

New

Post by Ohyouknow1234 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 pm

I have an interview at UW this week, too. I'm hoping to transfer from SU.

Is this the second batch of interviews? I'm unclear on whether transfer students have already been admitted.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Ohyouknow1234 wrote:I have an interview at UW this week, too. I'm hoping to transfer from SU.

Is this the second batch of interviews? I'm unclear on whether transfer students have already been admitted.
I was admitted over a month ago

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ohyouknow1234

New

Post by Ohyouknow1234 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:00 pm

kengh wrote:
Ohyouknow1234 wrote:I have an interview at UW this week, too. I'm hoping to transfer from SU.

I was admitted over a month ago
Ah. My app went complete Friday, and I was invited to interview this Monday.

lawwwwyeringnw

New

Post by lawwwwyeringnw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Not specific to that school, but in general, be ready for the oddball question. I interviewed as a transfer with a T13 last cycle and they asked "Which is the higher form of satire: SNL or the Onion?" Seemed to me like they just want to see if you can think on your feet so you don't blow a real interview or something along those lines.
Thank you!!!
I had my interview yesterday, and luckily did not get odd questions. Basically about what are you doing for the summer, why do you want to transfer, how was your first year, etc.
Now I'm checking my email like crazy expecting some good news. Finger cross.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”