GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BOSStongrl

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby BOSStongrl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%


What does the address change look like?


On the status checker where my mailing address was (top left), it originally said " __ Ave., Apt. 3" and then changed to "__ Avenue, Apartment 3". Apparently when this happens that means your application is under review and that you'll be receiving a decision shortly- for me it was an hour later but typically I think it's a day or so.


Sorry for another question, but does your status checker show that a decision was made? I have a full address but nothing with decision etc.


it's no problem! I don't mind answering questions- I know what the anxiety of waiting is like. But after the address change nothing else at all changed. Even after I received my decision the status remained blank. But make sure that you originally wrote your address with abbreviations and that it wasn't always spelt out completely. If you're certain it was originally written in abbreviations you should definitely be receiving a decision very very soon

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:14 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%


What does the address change look like?


On the status checker where my mailing address was (top left), it originally said " __ Ave., Apt. 3" and then changed to "__ Avenue, Apartment 3". Apparently when this happens that means your application is under review and that you'll be receiving a decision shortly- for me it was an hour later but typically I think it's a day or so.


Sorry for another question, but does your status checker show that a decision was made? I have a full address but nothing with decision etc.


it's no problem! I don't mind answering questions- I know what the anxiety of waiting is like. But after the address change nothing else at all changed. Even after I received my decision the status remained blank. But make sure that you originally wrote your address with abbreviations and that it wasn't always spelt out completely. If you're certain it was originally written in abbreviations you should definitely be receiving a decision very very soon


I wrote it out fully on the LSAC application, so I suppose it isn't a good indicator for me.

BOSStongrl

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby BOSStongrl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%


What does the address change look like?


On the status checker where my mailing address was (top left), it originally said " __ Ave., Apt. 3" and then changed to "__ Avenue, Apartment 3". Apparently when this happens that means your application is under review and that you'll be receiving a decision shortly- for me it was an hour later but typically I think it's a day or so.


Sorry for another question, but does your status checker show that a decision was made? I have a full address but nothing with decision etc.


it's no problem! I don't mind answering questions- I know what the anxiety of waiting is like. But after the address change nothing else at all changed. Even after I received my decision the status remained blank. But make sure that you originally wrote your address with abbreviations and that it wasn't always spelt out completely. If you're certain it was originally written in abbreviations you should definitely be receiving a decision very very soon


I wrote it out fully on the LSAC application, so I suppose it isn't a good indicator for me.


hm well regardless, if your application is complete I suspect you'll be getting a decision latest tomorrow afternoon. I think they're rushing to get decisions out because of IEW. Even still, the acceptance letter says you have until July 9th to participate in the reduced lottery portion of IEW

rhal22

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby rhal22 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:29 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
rhal22 wrote:
qwer123456789 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%

Why did you have to resend all your material?



congrats! have you received instructions regarding symplicity account creation?


Thanks!! I actually JUST got it about 20 minutes ago. I have no idea what to do though, so i'll be searching some past threads to figure everything out. I also got an email about the write on competition- which I am DREADING. So i've been very overwhelmed with all this information


I'm in the same boat. Good luck to you! Have you figured out how to bid yet? I clicked the OCI tab on my simplicity page but I'm not getting any helpful results.

BOSStongrl

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby BOSStongrl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 pm

rhal22 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
rhal22 wrote:
qwer123456789 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%

Why did you have to resend all your material?



congrats! have you received instructions regarding symplicity account creation?


Thanks!! I actually JUST got it about 20 minutes ago. I have no idea what to do though, so i'll be searching some past threads to figure everything out. I also got an email about the write on competition- which I am DREADING. So i've been very overwhelmed with all this information


I'm in the same boat. Good luck to you! Have you figured out how to bid yet? I clicked the OCI tab on my simplicity page but I'm not getting any helpful results.


Nooo idea yet. i'm still reading through all the material (I think i've gotten at least 3 emails today) and hoping that will give step-by-step instructions. But I feel like i'm more confused than ever so far. I did make an appointment with career services for tomorrow, so you should definitely do that too before their office closes today. If not I can definitely try and pass along some of the information I get from it

rhal22

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby rhal22 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:36 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
rhal22 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:
rhal22 wrote:
qwer123456789 wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:Just accepted!! Had to resend all my materials via email, they got my LOR today around 1pm, completed at 3pm, address change around 4pm, and accepted at 5:30pm. Quickest turn around ever. I'm so excited I can't believe it!

Stats:
TTT
3.63
top 5%

Why did you have to resend all your material?



congrats! have you received instructions regarding symplicity account creation?


Thanks!! I actually JUST got it about 20 minutes ago. I have no idea what to do though, so i'll be searching some past threads to figure everything out. I also got an email about the write on competition- which I am DREADING. So i've been very overwhelmed with all this information


I'm in the same boat. Good luck to you! Have you figured out how to bid yet? I clicked the OCI tab on my simplicity page but I'm not getting any helpful results.


Nooo idea yet. i'm still reading through all the material (I think i've gotten at least 3 emails today) and hoping that will give step-by-step instructions. But I feel like i'm more confused than ever so far. I did make an appointment with career services for tomorrow, so you should definitely do that too before their office closes today. If not I can definitely try and pass along some of the information I get from it


That would be very much appreciated. Feel free to reach out to me for any help.

Toaster24

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby Toaster24 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?

kengh

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby kengh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Toaster24 wrote:Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?


No

penncils

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby penncils » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am

Toaster24 wrote:Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?


Same. I feel a waitlist coming

qwer123456789

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby qwer123456789 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:15 pm

penncils wrote:
Toaster24 wrote:Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?


Same. I feel a waitlist coming

And you are correct.

kengh

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby kengh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:19 pm

qwer123456789 wrote:
penncils wrote:
Toaster24 wrote:Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?


Same. I feel a waitlist coming

And you are correct.

Did u get wl?

penncils

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby penncils » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Got placed on the “Waiting List”. In past years it looks like there was a special and special preferred waiting list. Anybody get that this year?

kengh

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby kengh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:32 pm

penncils wrote:Got placed on the “Waiting List”. In past years it looks like there was a special and special preferred waiting list. Anybody get that this year?

What are your stats?

qwer123456789

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby qwer123456789 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pm

kengh wrote:
qwer123456789 wrote:
penncils wrote:
Toaster24 wrote:Application has been complete for 2-3 weeks now with no change in status since then. Should I start worrying?


Same. I feel a waitlist coming

And you are correct.

Did u get wl?

yea


How can you tell if it's the special list? Mine is the normal one.

Toaster24

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby Toaster24 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Just got waitlisted, any way to tell my position on the waitlist?

numisma87

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby numisma87 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 pm

in on 6/27

TT (50-75)
top 8%

jts1234

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby jts1234 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.

TT (75-85) Top 15% 3.6 GPA; Strong softs FWIW

Got waitlisted today as well. Don't think there is a way to tell your position.

Got accepted into Emory today...GULC is my top choice so I'm gonna wait it out.

jts1234

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby jts1234 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Has anyone got rejected or do you guys think they are placing the vast majority of applicants on the waitlist? Unsure on how to assess chances for admission with waitlist with transfer applications if anyone has any thoughts.

Blew2020

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby Blew2020 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Waitlisted but I've been admitted to a T-10 school, and interviewing at a T-5 school this week. GULC is just playing hard to get I guess :lol:

kengh

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby kengh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Blew2020 wrote:Waitlisted but I've been admitted to a T-10 school, and interviewing at a T-5 school this week. GULC is just playing hard to get I guess :lol:

What are your stats?

zaylla15

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby zaylla15 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi All - I transferred to GULC two years ago and just graduated... if any of you have any questions, feel free to ping me.
As an FYI- even if you are accepted to transfer after the deadline for EIW, GULC will assign you at least 5 interviews, so you won't totally be at a loss. Missing the deadline merely means you won't get to choose your bids.

A word of advice- as a transfer, you will have a 0.0 GPA, which is not fantastic for firms wading through a mass of resumes. Be sure to take advantage of GULC's transfer write-on for law firms because they look very kindly on transfers who took the time to write on to their 1L school's law review, as well as one of GULC's. GULC makes sure to inform transfers of write-on status prior to EIW so you can add it to your resume.

In addition- I noticed a few people discussing massmailing... please don't worry about that unless you're 99% sure you're going to miss EIW. I promise you, massmailing is not the best way to get your foot in the door. Now that you've transferred to GULC, tap into its fantastic alumni network. Go onto the websites of the firms you are interested in and reach out to the GULC alum in the department you think you're interested in, dropping them a quick note and asking if they have time to chat with you on the phone about their firm. Do not just spam everyone with your resume. Trust me. Make a legitimate connection and go from there.

Again, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about starting out as a transfer, or this waiting process. Good luck everyone!

kengh

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby kengh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Blew2020 wrote:Waitlisted but I've been admitted to a T-10 school, and interviewing at a T-5 school this week. GULC is just playing hard to get I guess :lol:


And u should post in the Chicago thread so everyone stays on same page. Good luck on ur interview

BOSStongrl

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby BOSStongrl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 am

zaylla15 wrote:Hi All - I transferred to GULC two years ago and just graduated... if any of you have any questions, feel free to ping me.
As an FYI- even if you are accepted to transfer after the deadline for EIW, GULC will assign you at least 5 interviews, so you won't totally be at a loss. Missing the deadline merely means you won't get to choose your bids.

A word of advice- as a transfer, you will have a 0.0 GPA, which is not fantastic for firms wading through a mass of resumes. Be sure to take advantage of GULC's transfer write-on for law firms because they look very kindly on transfers who took the time to write on to their 1L school's law review, as well as one of GULC's. GULC makes sure to inform transfers of write-on status prior to EIW so you can add it to your resume.

In addition- I noticed a few people discussing massmailing... please don't worry about that unless you're 99% sure you're going to miss EIW. I promise you, massmailing is not the best way to get your foot in the door. Now that you've transferred to GULC, tap into its fantastic alumni network. Go onto the websites of the firms you are interested in and reach out to the GULC alum in the department you think you're interested in, dropping them a quick note and asking if they have time to chat with you on the phone about their firm. Do not just spam everyone with your resume. Trust me. Make a legitimate connection and go from there.

Again, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about starting out as a transfer, or this waiting process. Good luck everyone!



Wow thanks so much for this information!! I was getting nervous thinking I was behind with mass mailing- though I just submitted my bids for EIW yesterday. Are you aware if many transfers had offers from EIW? I bid pretty conservatively (only NYC and with large class sizes, and low gpa requirement) but i'm just afraid some of the firms aren't going to give me the time of day. Also, do you remember how long it took to complete the write-on? i'm trying to find some time to work on it before I open it (and the clock starts running).

Thanks again for your info!

zaylla15

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby zaylla15 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:53 am

BOSStongrl wrote:
zaylla15 wrote:Hi All - I transferred to GULC two years ago and just graduated... if any of you have any questions, feel free to ping me.
As an FYI- even if you are accepted to transfer after the deadline for EIW, GULC will assign you at least 5 interviews, so you won't totally be at a loss. Missing the deadline merely means you won't get to choose your bids.

A word of advice- as a transfer, you will have a 0.0 GPA, which is not fantastic for firms wading through a mass of resumes. Be sure to take advantage of GULC's transfer write-on for law firms because they look very kindly on transfers who took the time to write on to their 1L school's law review, as well as one of GULC's. GULC makes sure to inform transfers of write-on status prior to EIW so you can add it to your resume.

In addition- I noticed a few people discussing massmailing... please don't worry about that unless you're 99% sure you're going to miss EIW. I promise you, massmailing is not the best way to get your foot in the door. Now that you've transferred to GULC, tap into its fantastic alumni network. Go onto the websites of the firms you are interested in and reach out to the GULC alum in the department you think you're interested in, dropping them a quick note and asking if they have time to chat with you on the phone about their firm. Do not just spam everyone with your resume. Trust me. Make a legitimate connection and go from there.

Again, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about starting out as a transfer, or this waiting process. Good luck everyone!



Wow thanks so much for this information!! I was getting nervous thinking I was behind with mass mailing- though I just submitted my bids for EIW yesterday. Are you aware if many transfers had offers from EIW? I bid pretty conservatively (only NYC and with large class sizes, and low gpa requirement) but i'm just afraid some of the firms aren't going to give me the time of day. Also, do you remember how long it took to complete the write-on? i'm trying to find some time to work on it before I open it (and the clock starts running).

Thanks again for your info!


Conservative bidding is definitely good. My transfer class had about a 85% offer rate for those who actually participated in EIW (some, of course, only wanted to do gov't so didn't even bother). From what I could tell, the only transfers who didn't get an offer were either ones who opted to not to do the transfer write-on and so weren't on law review, or transferred in from a fairly low ranked school with below a 3.6 GPA.

If you want to get a leg up on EIW, you might consider reaching out the GULC alum at the firms in NYC you applied to, letting them know you bid on the firm for EIW, and asking if they have any interview advice or thoughts to share on the firm, generally. That way, when you go into your EIW interview, you can let the firms know you really are interested because you can name-drop, mention specific things about the firm and its culture that are not available online, etc.

If you are definitely transferring to GULC, feel free to email me at red74@georgetown.edu and I can give you specific EIW advice, if you would like!

zaylla15

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Re: GULC/Georgetown RD 2018 (class of 2020)

Postby zaylla15 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:
zaylla15 wrote:Hi All - I transferred to GULC two years ago and just graduated... if any of you have any questions, feel free to ping me.
As an FYI- even if you are accepted to transfer after the deadline for EIW, GULC will assign you at least 5 interviews, so you won't totally be at a loss. Missing the deadline merely means you won't get to choose your bids.

A word of advice- as a transfer, you will have a 0.0 GPA, which is not fantastic for firms wading through a mass of resumes. Be sure to take advantage of GULC's transfer write-on for law firms because they look very kindly on transfers who took the time to write on to their 1L school's law review, as well as one of GULC's. GULC makes sure to inform transfers of write-on status prior to EIW so you can add it to your resume.

In addition- I noticed a few people discussing massmailing... please don't worry about that unless you're 99% sure you're going to miss EIW. I promise you, massmailing is not the best way to get your foot in the door. Now that you've transferred to GULC, tap into its fantastic alumni network. Go onto the websites of the firms you are interested in and reach out to the GULC alum in the department you think you're interested in, dropping them a quick note and asking if they have time to chat with you on the phone about their firm. Do not just spam everyone with your resume. Trust me. Make a legitimate connection and go from there.

Again, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about starting out as a transfer, or this waiting process. Good luck everyone!



Wow thanks so much for this information!! I was getting nervous thinking I was behind with mass mailing- though I just submitted my bids for EIW yesterday. Are you aware if many transfers had offers from EIW? I bid pretty conservatively (only NYC and with large class sizes, and low gpa requirement) but i'm just afraid some of the firms aren't going to give me the time of day. Also, do you remember how long it took to complete the write-on? i'm trying to find some time to work on it before I open it (and the clock starts running).

Thanks again for your info!


Sorry i didn't read your message carefully- Write-on does not take more than a week, if I remember correctly. You should have received information on it already, but if you haven't, I would reach out and ask.

OCS suggests that when deciding what GPA to make your ceiling, take your 1L school GPA and drop it by 3 points for an unranked or TTT school and 2 points for a TT for applicability to GULC, i.e. a 3.8 at a TTT becomes a 3.5, so you would seek out firms with a 3.5 ceiling.



Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.