Harvard / Yale / Stanford Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Harvard / Yale / Stanford Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Got our grades back today and I ended up with a 3.95 cumulative 1L GPA at a T1 (think low-40s). I was already planning on transferring after Fall semester, but after a strong Spring I was wondering what my odds are at making it into at least one of Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. Also, if I do get into one of these schools is there any downside to going (besides cost)? For example, I will still be able to participate in OCI at all three, right?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Harvard / Yale / Stanford Transfer

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Apply to Harvard, you have a good shot. Unlikely at Yale. They tend only to take t13 transfers with one or two non-t13 transfers. I’d still apply, hr your chances are slim. Idk about Stanford

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:49 pm

I would apply to all 3. The downside of applying to S/Y is maybe $100 or so in extra application costs. Otherwise it's the same rec letters and app for the most part.

Regarding your chances I think we would need to know your rank to give you a better estimate. But, even then it's still going to be in the range of 50/50, better than 50/50, or worse than 50/50. H/Y/S transfers from outside of the t13/t20 is hard to predict accurately.

You'll still get to participate at OCI for all 3, and depending on your age and income may get a decent amount of need-based aid. There's no real downside to transferring if you get into one of these from a T40 school outside of cost. So it's important to consider what your goals are and why do you want to transfer (beyond just having a different name on your diploma)? For example, if you 100% know you want to do corporate work in the area where your school is there's very little upside (assuming that your current school will increase your scholarship).

Transferring is good for things like clerking, broader access to legal markets (beyond the region of your school), and potentially opening doors for unicorn jobs/academia down the road.

dcg0120

New

Post by dcg0120 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I wouldn't even bother applying to Yale, tbh. Their median transfer GPA is >4.0, and as was mentioned before, they generally only take from T14, with a couple of exceptions per year. Plus, Yale's application is not through LSAC, and you have to submit an additional piece of writing.

Give H a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”