Professors encouraging me not to transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Professors encouraging me not to transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 pm

I go to a T3 school that is a few hours away from a major legal market. In speaking with my professors, they told me that several Biglaw firms have spots reserved for grads from my school, but because my school is a few hours away from those firms, that most of my peers will not be seeking those jobs. Thus, I have a pretty good chance at landing a Biglaw job because I don't have a lot of competition and transferring wouldn't put me in a better position because I'd be facing more competition for the same jobs. My professors went on to name a few grads who landed Biglaw jobs.

Is this typical of a professor trying to dissuade a potential transferee or do my professors raise legitimate points here? I plan to apply to transfer out regardless, but I am unsure if what they are saying has any value. Historically, my school does not have more than one or two students transfer out each year and does not seem to be anti-transfer from what I have seen so far. For what its worth, I don't plan on leaving my current school unless I get accepted to a T14.

nrthwst4now

New

Re: Professors encouraging me not to transfer

Post by nrthwst4now » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm

I had one professor discourage me and two explicitly say it was a good idea if I could get into the schools I was considering. To help my decision I looked at the big law numbers from the ABA report for my school. If, say, 15% of students at your school get the kind of job you want and you are in (I assume) the top 5%, then those are decent odds. Also consider paying full rate at your new school v presumably a scholly at your current school...

For me, I felt that the opportunities with both my first job and especially with other jobs further down the road justified my decision to leave.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Thats total BS. They probably heard from the administration that they should dissuade you from transferring.

tier4_partner

New

Post by tier4_partner » Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 am

There are no spots “reserved” in biglaw for T3 students. And a few hundred miles won’t stop your entire class from applying. The professor is lying. It’s that simple.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T3 school that is a few hours away from a major legal market. In speaking with my professors, they told me that several Biglaw firms have spots reserved for grads from my school, but because my school is a few hours away from those firms, that most of my peers will not be seeking those jobs. Thus, I have a pretty good chance at landing a Biglaw job because I don't have a lot of competition and transferring wouldn't put me in a better position because I'd be facing more competition for the same jobs. My professors went on to name a few grads who landed Biglaw jobs.

Is this typical of a professor trying to dissuade a potential transferee or do my professors raise legitimate points here? I plan to apply to transfer out regardless, but I am unsure if what they are saying has any value. Historically, my school does not have more than one or two students transfer out each year and does not seem to be anti-transfer from what I have seen so far. For what its worth, I don't plan on leaving my current school unless I get accepted to a T14.
Law professors know nothing about employment in the real world. No firm reserves spots and the competition for Biglaw jobs is intense everywhere. The school wants top students to stay so they can boost their employment numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Here to echo that any sentiment about there being reserved spots is definitely a lie. Reserved spots for interviewing, possibly.

Also, my old school had a policy of not writing Letters of Recommendation or releasing a Dean's Certificate unless I sat down with administrators and explained my reasons for wanting to leave. Even after, the Dean once stopped me outside of class to tell me it was a bad idea to transfer ("you have a good thing going here, don't throw that all away"). Take it as a compliment, but don't give credence to the words. As much as they might like you or want to invest in you, their reasons for wanting you to stay are also based on their own self-interest (for the school).

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:I had one professor discourage me and two explicitly say it was a good idea if I could get into the schools I was considering. To help my decision I looked at the big law numbers from the ABA report for my school. If, say, 15% of students at your school get the kind of job you want and you are in (I assume) the top 5%, then those are decent odds. Also consider paying full rate at your new school v presumably a scholly at your current school...

For me, I felt that the opportunities with both my first job and especially with other jobs further down the road justified my decision to leave.
The professors that told you transferring was a good idea are telling the truth. The other one is a liar. It's really that simple.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
nrthwst4now wrote:I had one professor discourage me and two explicitly say it was a good idea if I could get into the schools I was considering. To help my decision I looked at the big law numbers from the ABA report for my school. If, say, 15% of students at your school get the kind of job you want and you are in (I assume) the top 5%, then those are decent odds. Also consider paying full rate at your new school v presumably a scholly at your current school...

The professors that told you transferring was a good idea are telling the truth. The other one is a liar. It's really that simple.
It depends on the school they are considering leaving, employment data, and scholarship considerations. Personally, the only reason I listened to the professors was because I was being polite while asking for a letter. My decision was based on those factors. There are reasons to not transfer if (like in the example I posted) you can get the outcome you want for way less money by staying.

I left and am happy I did. To say that someone should leave not matter what oversimplifies it. I agree, most situations justify a transfer if it is to a top school

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun May 20, 2018 11:27 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:

It depends on the school they are considering leaving, employment data, and scholarship considerations. Personally, the only reason I listened to the professors was because I was being polite while asking for a letter. My decision was based on those factors. There are reasons to not transfer if (like in the example I posted) you can get the outcome you want for way less money by staying.

I left and am happy I did. To say that someone should leave not matter what oversimplifies it. I agree, most situations justify a transfer if it is to a top school
Point taken, though, given that OP is at a third tier school, OP would be justified in transferring to basically any T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”