TTT to Georgetown: Stay or Go? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawfullyyourz

New

TTT to Georgetown: Stay or Go?

Post by lawfullyyourz » Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 am

Got into Georgetown as a transfer and I am having a hard time deciding if I should actually go.

Money isn't the problem here. It's everything else: the connection with professors + friends, the location (from NY + go to school in NY), my ranking, law review, etc.... However, I am at a TTT.

That being said, I have already landed a biglaw SA for the summer and I want to ultimately do big law.

Why did I apply to GULC? More course options + opportunities, better name, not too far from NYC.

I know I rambling, but here is the question: Would I be a fool to stay at the TTT?

nrthwst4now

New

Re: TTT to Georgetown: Stay or Go?

Post by nrthwst4now » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am

Depends on the TTT. For instance, consider what % of grads land big law (look at the 509). Are you safely within that %? Is you 1L summer SA at a firm that is likely to hire you back and one you would be happy with working at? I'd also consider GULC big law numbers and place yourself as getting an outcome an average student would get from there.

I ended up transferring into the T14 and am very happy with my decision. Could I have got the same outcome from my old school? Possibly. But the fact is I have had way more opportunities due to switching schools (multiple offers from OCI, networking, geographic flexibility when looking for work). Being competitive for clerkships, etc.

All that to say its not crazy to consider staying or transferring. Also, even if "money is not an issue" unless you qualify for need based aid from GULC it is still a lot for two years at sticker no matter who is paying - so . . .

McChicken

New

Post by McChicken » Tue May 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Its a tough one because its Georgetown and not a T13, but I would probably go. Sure, you already have a biglaw SA, but a Georgetown degree is much more valuable than a TTT degree in the long run. Could make a difference if you want to clerk or lateral to prestigious government positions later. Its hard to say how a TTT top of class with law review stacks up against Georgetown at median on secondary journal later on in your career. From what I've gathered, prestige of school matters much more than what rank you were after you have some work experience.

Also, if you're adamant about being in NY, are you going to apply to NYU and Columbia? The calculus would be pretty easy if you got into one of those schools since you don't care about money and want to stay in NY. You probably have a good shot since you're top of your class with law review and coming from a NY TTT.

lawfullyyourz

New

Post by lawfullyyourz » Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:Depends on the TTT. For instance, consider what % of grads land big law (look at the 509). Are you safely within that %? Is you 1L summer SA at a firm that is likely to hire you back and one you would be happy with working at? I'd also consider GULC big law numbers and place yourself as getting an outcome an average student would get from there.

I ended up transferring into the T14 and am very happy with my decision. Could I have got the same outcome from my old school? Possibly. But the fact is I have had way more opportunities due to switching schools (multiple offers from OCI, networking, geographic flexibility when looking for work). Being competitive for clerkships, etc.

All that to say its not crazy to consider staying or transferring. Also, even if "money is not an issue" unless you qualify for need based aid from GULC it is still a lot for two years at sticker no matter who is paying - so . . .
My offer letter says they don't hire for second summer or after graduation. However, I heard that is not actually the case. Either way, I'm moving with the idea that I don't have a 2L summer job guaranteed.

Money not an issue meaning that I have a lot of outside of scholarships that will reaaallllly help, thankfully.

Thank you for your advice! :)

lawfullyyourz

New

Post by lawfullyyourz » Tue May 01, 2018 5:34 pm

McChicken wrote:Its a tough one because its Georgetown and not a T13, but I would probably go. Sure, you already have a biglaw SA, but a Georgetown degree is much more valuable than a TTT degree in the long run. Could make a difference if you want to clerk or lateral to prestigious government positions later. Its hard to say how a TTT top of class with law review stacks up against Georgetown at median on secondary journal later on in your career. From what I've gathered, prestige of school matters much more than what rank you were after you have some work experience.

Also, if you're adamant about being in NY, are you going to apply to NYU and Columbia? The calculus would be pretty easy if you got into one of those schools since you don't care about money and want to stay in NY. You probably have a good shot since you're top of your class with law review and coming from a NY TTT.
I want to apply to NYU + Columbia, but it will be dependent on my spring semester grades too. I guess I could hold my spot at GULC by paying the deposits and then if either NY law schools accept me, I could just jump ship. Everyone I talk to who has a degree from T14 just keeps saying how important prestige is... so definitely makes the idea of transferring more appealing.

Thank you for your advice :)

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 pm

I want to apply to NYU + Columbia, but it will be dependent on my spring semester grades too. I guess I could hold my spot at GULC by paying the deposits and then if either NY law schools accept me, I could just jump ship.
Thank you for your advice :)[/quote]

This. For the flexibility it is well worth the initial deposit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”