Transfer Because no 1L Clerkship Offers? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BeastfromtheEast

New

Transfer Because no 1L Clerkship Offers?

Post by BeastfromtheEast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

I have been really disappointed with my summer job search after my 1L year and I am seriously considering transferring because of it. I go to a T2 (US News 70-90) school in the South where out of state students seem to have a lot of issues finding summer employment. Despite being in the top 5% of my class, being a nationally ranked high school debater, and receiving a CALI award in legal research and writing I have gotten a resounding 0 offers for summer employment in the state. I have another friend with a similar GPA who is also out of state who has run into the same problem.

On the other hand, I have friends who are from the state with worse GPA's that have gotten multiple job offers. I know a lot of people in my class who are in state and are not even in the top third that have gotten callback interviews and offers from firms that I was not even able to get an initial interview with. This may have been due to the fact that I expressed a keen interest in litigation in my application materials, but even jobs specific to litigation have turned me down. I was interviewed but not offered a position with local litigation firms as well as the local district attorney's office.

Should I consider transferring because I am having such trouble obtaining a job? I have talked to upper-classmen and they have said that it seems like employers in the state have a similar fondness for in-state students in both 2L employment and post-graduation employment. I have a scholarship that allows me to pay only about $3k more per year than the in state students, but I am hesitant to continue spending that money when I will have trouble finding employment even with good grades. I am thinking of transferring to a smaller school in my home state where I could likely receive a full ride or at the very least a substantial scholarship.

Do you think that I should consider transferring? Or am I just freaking out and making too big a deal of this?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Transfer Because no 1L Clerkship Offers?

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I mean you went to a regional school and are now surprised that having ties to the area is a prerequisite for getting a job? Anyone with half a brain could have told you that.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm

BeastfromtheEast wrote:I have been really disappointed with my summer job search after my 1L year and I am seriously considering transferring because of it. I go to a T2 (US News 70-90) school in the South where out of state students seem to have a lot of issues finding summer employment. Despite being in the top 5% of my class, being a nationally ranked high school debater, and receiving a CALI award in legal research and writing I have gotten a resounding 0 offers for summer employment in the state. I have another friend with a similar GPA who is also out of state who has run into the same problem.

On the other hand, I have friends who are from the state with worse GPA's that have gotten multiple job offers. I know a lot of people in my class who are in state and are not even in the top third that have gotten callback interviews and offers from firms that I was not even able to get an initial interview with. This may have been due to the fact that I expressed a keen interest in litigation in my application materials, but even jobs specific to litigation have turned me down. I was interviewed but not offered a position with local litigation firms as well as the local district attorney's office.

Should I consider transferring because I am having such trouble obtaining a job? I have talked to upper-classmen and they have said that it seems like employers in the state have a similar fondness for in-state students in both 2L employment and post-graduation employment. I have a scholarship that allows me to pay only about $3k more per year than the in state students, but I am hesitant to continue spending that money when I will have trouble finding employment even with good grades. I am thinking of transferring to a smaller school in my home state where I could likely receive a full ride or at the very least a substantial scholarship.

Do you think that I should consider transferring? Or am I just freaking out and making too big a deal of this?
Pretty sure transfers pay full price. Not sure how you would get a full ride transferring

BeastfromtheEast

New

Post by BeastfromtheEast » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Well I thought that if I had really good grades that it wouldn't matter. I figured that being in the top 5% of the class would be more important than having an uncle who is some big shot.

Should I just transfer back to my home state then? I'd rather go to a worse school for free than go to a higher ranked school for more money and still not be able to get a job.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm

BeastfromtheEast wrote:Well I thought that if I had really good grades that it wouldn't matter. I figured that being in the top 5% of the class would be more important than having an uncle who is some big shot.

Should I just transfer back to my home state then? I'd rather go to a worse school for free than go to a higher ranked school for more money and still not be able to get a job.
You dont understand, transfers dont get scholarship money. So you will be paying full price wherever you transfer to. Honestly your thought was stupid and you could have easily gotten that information. Especially because you are in the South. The South cares more about who your uncle is than top 1%.

It sounds like you should try to transfer to the t13 and pay full price and if that doesn't work/you dont want that, then drop out and chalk this whole thing up to you not being sensible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Okay but wait I think there are some things you're not considering:

1) Your transfer stats will not help a school in their USNWR rankings. They will not be able to benefit from your LSAT or UGPA, so it's unlikely that you get any sort of scholarship. Most transfers pay full tuition.

2) A 1L summer job is very unimportant in the grand scheme of things. If you're in the top 5% of your class, you'll have more access when it comes to OCI, and your 2L employment will matter far more for getting your foot in the door.

3) Transferring to a lower ranked school because you have ties doesn't make sense. Why not just put your OCI search there since you have ties? It's pretty easy, and reasonable, to explain to an interviewer that you went to the higher ranked school because you received a decent scholarship and wanted the opportunity to study at a school you perceived to be better in terms of educational value.

4) You lose your GPA/ranking once you transfer so, on the off chance 2L doesn't go well for you, you may have fewer opportunities at your new school if you transfer down.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 am

Well, here's my harsh and blunt opinion:
1. I question whether it's the market that's the problem. Yes, your ties and network matter in the South, but the fact that you're going to a law school in the state and have top grades should be enough to overcome that. Are you getting interviews? If so, I wonder if it's your interview skills/personality causing issues. I am not trying to be mean, but I know brilliant people with great credentials who struggled finding jobs because they were very poor interviewees. The whole high school debater thing has me wondering about this. It comes off as self-important, and I doubt most interviewers care about what you did in high school (but it's possible that I'm wrong). Anyways, I'll chalk it up to you being shook about your struggles finding a job and not make sweeping assumptions.

2. Transferring to a worse school, even if they do offer a scholarship, is a bad idea. You have strong grades. If you want to transfer, transfer to a top school. If you keep your grades up, you'll have a shot at the entire bottom half of the t13 (in addition to almost definitely being in at schools in the 14 to 20 range). Yes, you'll have to pull the sticker price, but your odds of getting a job are much better. Plus, when you transfer, you lose your awesome GPA and class ranking. If you're going to lose those things, you might as well trade them in for a great law school that'll put you in a great position to get a job. Trading them in for an inferior law school, even with a scholarship, makes no sense.

3. If I were you, I'd consider staying if you have a good scholarship. Work on your interview skills, keep applying for jobs, and expand your job search. Top grades will get you interviews at OCI. 1L summer is only important insofar as you have some sort of legal job. I'm quite surprised you can't find anything. How broad has your job search been? Have you applied for internships with judges? Are you applying to the surrounding markets? Did you apply to your home market? Have you talked to your career services people? Have you spoken with professors who like you to see if they have any connections? If you're only applying to litigation jobs with law firms, it's going to be tough sledding because those jobs are generally very competitive and people who are from the area likely have ins that you do not.

4. Has anyone reviewed your application materials? It could be as simple as your resume needing a second set of eyes.

5. Yes, I do think you're freaking out and making too much of a big deal of it. Keep applying. Broaden your search. Make sure your application materials are perfect. Work on your interview skills. Leverage whatever network and resources you have. If you continue to have issues into May, then it might be worth transferring. In that case, transfer up, not down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”