Transfer Odds Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lebaneselawyer

New

Transfer Odds

Post by lebaneselawyer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to get some outside perspective on my odds for transferring. I've looked at the ABA disclosures to see admissions patterns in the past, but I'm hoping that I could get a more realistic input on this forum. I currently attend a lower TT school with a 3.526 GPA (unsure of class rank, won't be out until end of 1L) and have a SA position through a diversity fellowship. I've read that undergrad GPA & LSAT don't matter, but just for reference my undergrad GPA was a 3.3 (i had a year where my GPA was below a 3.0 each semester, but every other semester was above a 3.7) and my LSAT was a 157.

I would like to go into Big Law in NYC and I don't think that's as feasible at the school I attend, so I've been seriously contemplating trying to transfer into some of the t14, of course this is with the hopes of my GPA increasing after 2nd semester grades.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance everyone!

LearnedFootsies

New

Re: Transfer Odds

Post by LearnedFootsies » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Going to be tough getting BigLaw via transfer with a 3.5, let alone a transfer into a T14. Many schools don't even allow transfers to take part in traditional summer OCI. Best of luck.

ruski87

New

Post by ruski87 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 am

It's impossible to give you meaningful advice w/out know approximate rank or %. Would you happen to know what the median is for your school? If it's 3.2+ it's unlikely you're competitive. If it's 3.0/2.9 or lower you might have a shot as your GPA could place you in top 10%+.

Also nearly all t14 (w/exception of maybe Cornell) let transfers participate in OCI, so please ignore above poster's comment (source: am transfer who participated in t14 OCI + have other transfer friends who participated at other t14 school OCI).

Your best bet is to do your best this semester and apply broadly to t14. The worst thing that will happen is they say no and you're out a couple hundred $s. But, that's small price to pay than wondering the rest of your life imo.

lebaneselawyer

New

Post by lebaneselawyer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

ruski87 wrote:It's impossible to give you meaningful advice w/out know approximate rank or %. Would you happen to know what the median is for your school? If it's 3.2+ it's unlikely you're competitive. If it's 3.0/2.9 or lower you might have a shot as your GPA could place you in top 10%+.

Also nearly all t14 (w/exception of maybe Cornell) let transfers participate in OCI, so please ignore above poster's comment (source: am transfer who participated in t14 OCI + have other transfer friends who participated at other t14 school OCI).

Your best bet is to do your best this semester and apply broadly to t14. The worst thing that will happen is they say no and you're out a couple hundred $s. But, that's small price to pay than wondering the rest of your life imo.

Thank you for your advice! I believe the median for my school is a 3.0, they won't release any rankings or % until this summer, but when I spoke with a 2L I was informed that I would at least be in the top 25% if we based it off of last years breakdowns.

If you don't mind me asking, How was your transfer experience? I am very overwhelmed with the entire process. I've narrowed the list down to nine schools (6 in the top 14 that I may have a shot at based on ABA disclosures and 2 that are regional TI schools where my GPA is between the 50% & 75%) but the worry of not being accepted is looming.

ruski87

New

Post by ruski87 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:45 pm

I think not getting in is always a possibility (and always on your mind during the transfer application process). I didn't get into my #1 transfer choice and had to completely change my life and move across the country w/in 3 weeks notice (this is what happens when you don't acknowledge that the process is a crapshoot sometimes haha). Like with any process I think generally I would suggest to apply broadly and try not to get attached before the results :) (unlike me).

Regarding the process itself I have two suggestions: 1) I think you should have plenty of time to finish off the applications and write your PS and do the transcripts after you're done with finals before the deadlines; 2) The only thing I would suggest to do right now is line up your letters of recs, professors get busy in April/May so asking them sooner will ensure you'll give them plenty of time to write them.

Ultimately remember it's a #s game, so focus on getting the best grades you can right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”