Transfer Odds Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legallybrownn

New

Transfer Odds

Post by legallybrownn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm at a T1 on the westcoast with my family on the easy coast so really hoping to transfer over there. I'm hoping for Columbia or NYU. I'm just unsure how feasible it really is and looking for guidance.

I have 3.86 after first quarter, unsure how 2nd quarter will play out. Job working inhouse at a big name company this summer. Moot court and involved in other activities.

Thoughts?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Transfer Odds

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 pm

depends on class rank, but very unlikely

ehhh

New

Post by ehhh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 am

sparkytrainer wrote:depends on class rank, but very unlikely
Not sure why you'd say that. OP's GPA thus far puts them at/above Columbia's 75ths for the past two years. They're way above the 75ths at NYU as well. Also, both schools take large transfer classes and neither shies away from taking transfers from T1s (and lower).

OP, if you keep that GPA up I think you have a very good shot at either school.

DaysToGo

New

Post by DaysToGo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 pm

legallybrownn wrote:I'm at a T1 on the westcoast with my family on the easy coast so really hoping to transfer over there. I'm hoping for Columbia or NYU. I'm just unsure how feasible it really is and looking for guidance.

I have 3.86 after first quarter, unsure how 2nd quarter will play out. Job working inhouse at a big name company this summer. Moot court and involved in other activities.

Thoughts?
I think you have a really good chance of transferring. First, your GPA is good enough, as long as you keep it up. Second, you have a compelling personal reason to be on the east coast. I would recommend highlighting that fact in your application somehow. For me, when I applied to transfer, I wrote in my PS about how being on the east coast was a need as opposed to just a want. This was the advice one of my recommenders gave me, and I think it really panned out. Of course, I can't say that that alone gave me the boost I needed to be accepted, but my GPA alone would not have been enough to be what really got me admitted to my transfer school. I had a lower GPA from a T20 and was admitted to CLS, so you have a good chance. Just don't blow it by writing a poor PS, or coming off as a jerk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”