Include FedSoc on Resume? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Include FedSoc on Resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 pm

I generally include club activity on my resume, but I'm not sure whether including FedSoc on my resume will be beneficial or detrimental given the current political climate. Frankly, I'm concerned about backlash from transfer admissions committees in more liberal parts of the country, specifically at schools in DC and NY. Should I take it off for the purpose of transferring, or are transfer committees less petty than I am anticipating?

KijiStewart

Bronze

Re: Include FedSoc on Resume?

Post by KijiStewart » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 pm

Leave it out.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 pm

I'd look at like this. At best it makes your application slightly (if even that) more appealing. However, that is a best case scenario that is not even likely. Worst case, they view you negatively (which I doubt they would).

So all in all, because it can't really help you why risk it?

GPA/Class Rank (by far most important)
Summer Job

are the two key things

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Are you involved in any other organizations in law school? If not, I'd list it because you'll want to indicate some engagement in the law school community other than just going to class.

Also, look and see whether the schools to which you are applying have a strong Fed Soc chapter. While admission staff may tend to lean left, schools with active Fed Soc chapters may care more about keeping dialogue on significant legal issues going at their institutions than what being a member of Fed Soc might say about your politics. I think that at a school like UVA, with a strong Fed Soc chapter, putting it on the resume would help you.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am

KijiStewart wrote:Leave it out.
What a sad and petty world we live in. Yes, do leave out one of the only clubs in law school that verifiably helps your odds of getting desireable clerkships.

Expressio likely nailed it, with the caveat that I probably wouldn’t list any clubs unless you have a legitimate position/narrative beyond “attended for the free food.”

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am

Federal clerk checking in.

Unless you are applying to judges/organizations with a conservative lean (or who, for whatever reason that you know about, would actually like your involvement in a political organization) you should leave it out. You should follow the general rule of only including it on your resume if you have a good reason to think it will help you with the particular job you're applying for.

Generally, politics on a resume is a bad idea. There are absolutely people out there who will reject your application for having Fedsoc or the like on it. It's just not a risk worth taking. The same goes for any other political group like the ACS or even a straight up political party. Hell, a lot of resumes/firm bios I see from former hill staffers leave off the political affiliation of the congressperson the applicant worked for.

And as far as the earlier response arguing that the above is petty - get real. The FedSoc is pretty much single handedly pushing the judiciary to the right and even pushing through obviously unqualified candidates. Guess what? A lot of people aren't happy about it.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am

minnbills wrote:Federal clerk checking in.

Unless you are applying to judges/organizations with a conservative lean (or who, for whatever reason that you know about, would actually like your involvement in a political organization) you should leave it out. You should follow the general rule of only including it on your resume if you have a good reason to think it will help you with the particular job you're applying for.

Generally, politics on a resume is a bad idea. There are absolutely people out there who will reject your application for having Fedsoc or the like on it. It's just not a risk worth taking. The same goes for any other political group like the ACS or even a straight up political party. Hell, a lot of resumes/firm bios I see from former hill staffers leave off the political affiliation of the congressperson the applicant worked for.

And as far as the earlier response arguing that the above is petty - get real. The FedSoc is pretty much single handedly pushing the judiciary to the right and even pushing through obviously unqualified candidates. Guess what? A lot of people aren't happy about it.
Agree with this 100%. Look at the people fedsoc has been instrumental in pushing to the bench. Many of them are plainly unqualified. They care more about ideology than basic legal ability.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm

For transfer admissions purposes, I'd probably take the gamble and leave it in. Ad Coms like intellectual diversity?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”