Any georgetown transfer students from TTT/TTTT schools willing to give advice/ their experience? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolgal1883

New

Any georgetown transfer students from TTT/TTTT schools willing to give advice/ their experience?

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Guys, I was wondering if any georgetown transfers from TTT or TTTT schools would be willing to share their experiences and any advice they have for other transfers? If you were aiming for big law, did you get it? How did you prepare for OCI? etc

Generic1L

New

Re: Any georgetown transfer students from TTT/TTTT schools willing to give advice/ their experience?

Post by Generic1L » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm

lawschoolgal1883 wrote:Hi Guys, I was wondering if any georgetown transfers from TTT or TTTT schools would be willing to share their experiences and any advice they have for other transfers? If you were aiming for big law, did you get it? How did you prepare for OCI? etc
Hey, I might be able to share more information through personal message, just for privacy reasons. I don't quite know how to use that function.

Generally though, I would say to prepare early. Professors aren't going to be ecstatic to write letters of recommendation for their favorite students to leave, and the Dean's certification may be difficult to obtain depending on your school's policy. Also, as everyone will tell you, keep working hard as your second-semester grades are still incredibly important (if not for transferring, then for OCI).

I received 4 offers for big law. I had slightly over 20 screeners and 5 callbacks. I prepared for OCI by doing mock interviews with over 10 attorneys from different firms that I was looking at. I also prepared for clerkship interviews similarly. They all provided feedback on my resume/interviewing/writing sample/etc.

lawschoolgal1883

New

Re: Any georgetown transfer students from TTT/TTTT schools willing to give advice/ their experience?

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Generic1L wrote:
lawschoolgal1883 wrote:Hi Guys, I was wondering if any georgetown transfers from TTT or TTTT schools would be willing to share their experiences and any advice they have for other transfers? If you were aiming for big law, did you get it? How did you prepare for OCI? etc
Hey, I might be able to share more information through personal message, just for privacy reasons. I don't quite know how to use that function.

Generally though, I would say to prepare early. Professors aren't going to be ecstatic to write letters of recommendation for their favorite students to leave, and the Dean's certification may be difficult to obtain depending on your school's policy. Also, as everyone will tell you, keep working hard as your second-semester grades are still incredibly important (if not for transferring, then for OCI).

I received 4 offers for big law. I had slightly over 20 screeners and 5 callbacks. I prepared for OCI by doing mock interviews with over 10 attorneys from different firms that I was looking at. I also prepared for clerkship interviews similarly. They all provided feedback on my resume/interviewing/writing sample/etc.
Hey!OP here. Idk how to PM you, the option wont come up lol -.-

lawschoolgal1883

New

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 pm

But generally did any OCI firms care you were a transfer from a TTT/ look down upon you? Do the firms care about undergrad GPA/LSAT? What type of summer employment for 1L would you recommend?

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 am

lawschoolgal1883 wrote:But generally did any OCI firms care you were a transfer from a TTT/ look down upon you? Do the firms care about undergrad GPA/LSAT? What type of summer employment for 1L would you recommend?
You'll never know for sure, but I didn't get that feeling at all. I had one interview where the interviewer noted that one of his best friends was a transfer. Another one told me that his wife attended the law school I transferred from. Of the transfers I know that participated in OCI, I would say roughly 80-90% received an offer.

Firms don't care about UGPA or LSAT. There's no reason to list them or bring them up.

A lot of my friends that worked a 1L Biglaw SA position received a funnel offer to become a 2L SA. I worked at a State AG's office and virtually every intern in my office received big law offers. That's less indicative of the position(s) and more of the people I worked with.

In general, I would recommend summer employment dealing in the area you're trying to eventually work in so that your OCI interviewers can see interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolgal1883

New

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 am

Generic1L wrote:
lawschoolgal1883 wrote:But generally did any OCI firms care you were a transfer from a TTT/ look down upon you? Do the firms care about undergrad GPA/LSAT? What type of summer employment for 1L would you recommend?
You'll never know for sure, but I didn't get that feeling at all. I had one interview where the interviewer noted that one of his best friends was a transfer. Another one told me that his wife attended the law school I transferred from. Of the transfers I know that participated in OCI, I would say roughly 80-90% received an offer.

Firms don't care about UGPA or LSAT. There's no reason to list them or bring them up.

A lot of my friends that worked a 1L Biglaw SA position received a funnel offer to become a 2L SA. I worked at a State AG's office and virtually every intern in my office received big law offers. That's less indicative of the position(s) and more of the people I worked with.

In general, I would recommend summer employment dealing in the area you're trying to eventually work in so that your OCI interviewers can see interest.
Thanks for answering my questions! So basically your grades and how you interview matter most? Also did you participate in law review at your previous school or at Georgetown as a transfer? How important would you say law review is for oci?

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm

lawschoolgal1883 wrote:
Generic1L wrote:

Thanks for answering my questions! So basically your grades and how you interview matter most? Also did you participate in law review at your previous school or at Georgetown as a transfer? How important would you say law review is for oci?
Yes I would say your GPA and your interview skills matter most. To some extent, your rank will matter.

I participated in law review at my previous school and am on a secondary journal at Georgetown. It depends on what you want to do. I had one callback where a partner told me she doesn't even look to see if we have a journal because it's next to useless for corporate law. For litigation, it's an unspoken prerequisite. Clerkships as well.

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:53 pm

don't know why there isn't an edit or PM function. Get your crap together, TLS.

Anyway, by corporate law I meant transactional law. Which may be referred colloquially as corporate law depending on where you're at, but I just wanted to correct myself just in case.

lawschoolgal1883

New

Post by lawschoolgal1883 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Generic1L wrote:don't know why there isn't an edit or PM function. Get your crap together, TLS.

Anyway, by corporate law I meant transactional law. Which may be referred colloquially as corporate law depending on where you're at, but I just wanted to correct myself just in case.
Lol I know right! Would be so much easier with a PM option, but yeah I am definitely more interested in transnational than litigation. I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”