AU WCL transfer numbers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kya6

New

AU WCL transfer numbers

Post by Kya6 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Hey everyone,
So I will be attending WCL in the fall, on close to a full tutution scholarship. I know conventional wisdom is to stay away from attending a school with the intent on transferring, but just out of curiosity, what GPA/ class rank would you need to transfer to GW/ Georgetown?
If anyone on here has successfully made that move, please PM me!

anon3030

New

Re: AU WCL transfer numbers

Post by anon3030 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 am

People in the bottom 25% can transfer to GW, almost a lock if you are top 50%. Top 20% makes you close to GT and top 10% is a lock.

Kya6

New

Post by Kya6 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 am

Wow really?
I was not expecting that. Is there a particular reason for that? I was assuming top 20-25% for GW and 10-15% for GT

JohnnyKarate_

New

Post by JohnnyKarate_ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 pm

WCL 3L here: it is extremely easy to transfer out of WCL with mediocre grades. Middle-of-the-pack students in my section went to GW, BU, Emory, UCLA, Northwestern, just to name a few. Top students transferred to UVA, Georgetown, and Harvard. (4 people transferred to HLS last year.)

If you are a top student at WCL, I highly recommend staying. You will get a full-ride scholarship, and you'll have your pick at OCI. If you are a mediocre student, there are other benefits to transferring...I will say that my friends who transferred to "better" schools (i.e., GW) had no luck at OCI. Your 1L grades are still important.

My advice: If you're a top student, stay at WCL or transfer to HLS. If you're an average student, you won't have any luck with OCI anyway so might as well transfer to a better-ranked school.

If you're a public interest person who's not interested in OCI, stay at WCL.

Kya6

New

Post by Kya6 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the insight!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:44 pm

JohnnyKarate_ wrote:WCL 3L here: it is extremely easy to transfer out of WCL with mediocre grades. Middle-of-the-pack students in my section went to GW, BU, Emory, UCLA, Northwestern, just to name a few. Top students transferred to UVA, Georgetown, and Harvard. (4 people transferred to HLS last year.)

If you are a top student at WCL, I highly recommend staying. You will get a full-ride scholarship, and you'll have your pick at OCI. If you are a mediocre student, there are other benefits to transferring...I will say that my friends who transferred to "better" schools (i.e., GW) had no luck at OCI. Your 1L grades are still important.

My advice: If you're a top student, stay at WCL or transfer to HLS. If you're an average student, you won't have any luck with OCI anyway so might as well transfer to a better-ranked school.

Middle of the pack went to UCLA and Northwestern, yeah right. Both those schools are better than GULC (which you say took "top students").Also, please don't plan on being a top student. You never know. I think the idea of transferring anywhere other than t13 from that school sounds like a questionable move if you are receiving money.

student4714

New

Post by student4714 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Just FYI for a number perspective GW took 30 AU WCL Transfers last year/ GT took 13/ Harvard took 6/ Columbia took 2/ UCLA 1/ Northwestern 1 (I stopped looking at this point).

Its going to be a money/goals decision. Going to school on a scholarship is never a bad idea. Shoot to be in the top 10% and with hustle you'll be in a good spot. Transferring/literally everything in my opinion comes down to 1 thing and that's grades. So focus on that and reassess when you can make a better determination. Congrats on the Scholly and gl next year.

Kya6

New

Post by Kya6 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied! It really puts everything into perspective for me. Due to the scholarship, I don’t really intend on transferring unless it is an opportunity I can’t pass up, really just wanted to see the types of grades needed as I have read A huge portion of AU’s class transfer out each year. As some of you have mentioned, none of this really matters until I get my grades anyway lol.

Have a great weekend all :D

Kya6

New

Post by Kya6 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 pm

JohnnyKarate_ wrote:WCL 3L here: it is extremely easy to transfer out of WCL with mediocre grades. Middle-of-the-pack students in my section went to GW, BU, Emory, UCLA, Northwestern, just to name a few. Top students transferred to UVA, Georgetown, and Harvard. (4 people transferred to HLS last year.)

I don’t know if there’s a personal message feature on here, but I would love to ask you some additional questions personally if you’d be willing! (Sorry I’m new to this forum lol).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JohnnyKarate_

New

Post by JohnnyKarate_ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Kya6 wrote:
JohnnyKarate_ wrote:
I don’t know if there’s a personal message feature on here, but I would love to ask you some additional questions personally if you’d be willing! (Sorry I’m new to this forum lol).
I'm not sure either, but feel free to ask me anything. I'm happy to help.

Kya6

New

Post by Kya6 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 pm

JohnnyKarate_ wrote:
Kya6 wrote:
JohnnyKarate_ wrote:
I'm not sure either, but feel free to ask me anything. I'm happy to help.
Sorry just seeing this! Do you have a Reddit or other means of communication I could use to pm you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”