TTT -> GUCL Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Frenk

New

TTT -> GUCL

Post by Frenk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 am

I finished my first semester with a 3.60, top 11%, and a CALI. Looking at 509 Reports, my raw GPA is between the 25th and 50th percentiles at GUCL (and well above the 75th percentile for recent transfers at both Vandy & WUSTL, my second and third choices). I should be submitting my EA application within the next week or two.

The impression I get from posts here and Reddit is that I have a poor chance at getting into GUCL. However, I noticed that half or more of the GUCL transfers for the last 2 years are coming from worse ranked schools than I am at (further down T3, T4, unranked, for-profit). Thoughts?

Mrs Featherbottom

New

Re: TTT -> GUCL

Post by Mrs Featherbottom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm

It sounds like you have some empirical data showing that you at least have a shot--why not just apply and see what happens? Doesn't seem like there's a cost to getting rejected.

The real reason I'm posting this though is to tell you that it's GULC not GUCL.

Frenk

New

Re: TTT -> GULC

Post by Frenk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the correction, it was a bit late when I posted this.

I will be applying regardless, just waiting on LSAC to finish their end.

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Frenk wrote:I finished my first semester with a 3.60, top 11%, and a CALI. Looking at 509 Reports, my raw GPA is between the 25th and 50th percentiles at GUCL (and well above the 75th percentile for recent transfers at both Vandy & WUSTL, my second and third choices). I should be submitting my EA application within the next week or two.

The impression I get from posts here and Reddit is that I have a poor chance at getting into GUCL. However, I noticed that half or more of the GUCL transfers for the last 2 years are coming from worse ranked schools than I am at (further down T3, T4, unranked, for-profit). Thoughts?
Just as a general rule of thumb, people from lower such as T3s and T4s probably have 75th percentile and above GPAs. That will hold true for most other schools as well (including the ones you're looking at).

I don't think you have a poor chance at getting in during the regular cycle, but I do think it's a stretch getting in EA. There's no harm in throwing out an application. I don't think you'll be denied outright for EA, at the very least.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm

I'll put your odds at 50/50. You should apply. Also apply to the other schools listed. USC would be nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Frenk

New

Post by Frenk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Generic1L wrote:
Frenk wrote:I finished my first semester with a 3.60, top 11%, and a CALI. Looking at 509 Reports, my raw GPA is between the 25th and 50th percentiles at GUCL (and well above the 75th percentile for recent transfers at both Vandy & WUSTL, my second and third choices). I should be submitting my EA application within the next week or two.

Just as a general rule of thumb, people from lower such as T3s and T4s probably have 75th percentile and above GPAs. That will hold true for most other schools as well (including the ones you're looking at).

I don't think you have a poor chance at getting in during the regular cycle, but I do think it's a stretch getting in EA. There's no harm in throwing out an application. I don't think you'll be denied outright for EA, at the very least.
Why do you I’m more likely to be accepted in the regular cycle than EA? I had assumed EA would be more likely, but I haven’t read very much in respect to policies for either.
joefresh wrote:I'll put your odds at 50/50. You should apply. Also apply to the other schools listed. USC would be nice.
Listed where? I also considered applying to Cornell, but from threads I’ve seen Cornell doesn’t appear to be kind to transfers with regard to 2L OCI

Generic1L

New

Post by Generic1L » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:24 am

It's more difficult to get in EA because they'll typically want people with grades above the 75th percentile (though I've seen people get in EA with grades between the 50th and 75th EA) and they'll defer applicants with borderline grades to see if those grades will stay roughly around the same range (or increase) for RD.

It's also easier (numbers-wise) to get in regular decision because you don't know how many folks will accept their offers, so you may be taken in RD because people in EA drop or choose to go to a different school. Once again, your GPA is not bad by any means, so there's no hurt in submitting your materials early. You should send in an app and expect to be deferred, but I hope you're pleasantly surprised with an acceptance!

Frenk

New

Post by Frenk » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Generic1L wrote:It's more difficult to get in EA because they'll typically want people with grades above the 75th percentile (though I've seen people get in EA with grades between the 50th and 75th EA) and they'll defer applicants with borderline grades to see if those grades will stay roughly around the same range (or increase) for RD.

It's also easier (numbers-wise) to get in regular decision because you don't know how many folks will accept their offers, so you may be taken in RD because people in EA drop or choose to go to a different school. Once again, your GPA is not bad by any means, so there's no hurt in submitting your materials early. You should send in an app and expect to be deferred, but I hope you're pleasantly surprised with an acceptance!
Ah, okay. I had expected students in the 75th or higher would likely app in RD, to give themselves more time to see if they get into better schools. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”