Chances from a T3/T4 and looking for advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BOSStongrl

New

Chances from a T3/T4 and looking for advice

Post by BOSStongrl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:34 pm

I am considering transferring from an school ranking #110-120 range (keep forgetting if that’s considered T3 or T4) in NYC. And currently have a 3.58 ranked 20/170 (top 11%) and have a 75% scholarship. Obviously there’s no guarantee I will keep that ranking after the spring semester, but i’d really like to start considering my options now, and determine if it’s even worth it to transfer. 

Here’s the options I was considering, I was hoping someone could help predict whether I have a shot at these schools, and whether it’s worth it- considering I would have to pay sticker:

Cardozo (ranked 65) 
St. John’s (ranked 72) 
Fordham (ranked 36)

Fordham is obviously my number one choice, but wondering if i’d have a shot, assuming i keep my current ranking (509 has no data). NYU i’m assuming is not possible to transfer from a T3/T4 without being top 1% or so.

Any advice would be immensely helpful!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Chances from a T3/T4 and looking for advice

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 pm

I don't know, but you are probably at New York Law School, Pace or Hofstra. After one semester, you rank in the top 12%. So long as you remain in the top 20%, you should be accepted as a transfer at St. John's, Cardozo or Fordham. The problem is that you would be sacrificing a 75% scholarship in order to pay full tuition. Not worth it, in my opinion.

The best course of action is to get well into the top 10% at your current school & throw transfer apps at Cardozo, Fordham, Georgetown & Cornell to see what happens.

Remember to write on for law review at your current law school. If you finish in the top 10% & have been accepted as a transfer elsewhere, negotiate for a higher scholarship amount at your current school.

A full tuition scholarship, law review membership & a top 10% ranking is worth staying at your current law school versus paying full tuition at Fordham or Cardozo.
Georgetown, I think, awards grant money to transfers & Cornell is worth two years tuition.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I don't know, but you are probably at New York Law School, Pace or Hofstra. After one semester, you rank in the top 12%. So long as you remain in the top 20%, you should be accepted as a transfer at St. John's, Cardozo or Fordham. The problem is that you would be sacrificing a 75% scholarship in order to pay full tuition. Not worth it, in my opinion.

The best course of action is to get well into the top 10% at your current school & throw transfer apps at Cardozo, Fordham, Georgetown & Cornell to see what happens.

Remember to write on for law review at your current law school. If you finish in the top 10% & have been accepted as a transfer elsewhere, negotiate for a higher scholarship amount at your current school.

A full tuition scholarship, law review membership & a top 10% ranking is worth staying at your current law school versus paying full tuition at Fordham or Cardozo.
Georgetown, I think, awards grant money to transfers & Cornell is worth two years tuition.
Thanks SO much for your insight! I will probably only consider transfering if its fordham, cornell, etc. then.

the issue i’ve been battling with now is if i stay top 10% at my current school and get a full ride versus fordham (or the like). The only thing holding me back is the average starting salary from my school and fordham. Assuming the data is valid, Fordham’s starting salary is 80k more a year. Over say, 5 years, that’s $400k. The extra 80-100k i’d be spending to attend fordham doesn’t seem as daunting, and the money i’d make over a lifetime at Fordham is significant. 

Of course this reasoning can be completely flawed, so please anyone correct me if i’m wrong. But this is the issue holding me back at staying at the school i’m at now. 

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm

BOSStongrl wrote:The only thing holding me back is the average starting salary from my school and fordham. 
Average is a bad way of measuring your outcome. Fordham's average is significantly raised by 40% of its class going into Biglaw. The rest of the class probably still starts at 50-75k in NYC.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am

BrainsyK wrote:
BOSStongrl wrote:The only thing holding me back is the average starting salary from my school and fordham. 
Average is a bad way of measuring your outcome. Fordham's average is significantly raised by 40% of its class going into Biglaw. The rest of the class probably still starts at 50-75k in NYC.
Hmm this is true. Im glad you pointed that out. But then again theres a much higher likelyhood of getting into biglaw at fordham than at my T3 school (virtually 0%). Of course its not guranteed so it would be a gamble

Ah hopefully ill be able to think it over and decide. Thanks everyone for your help!! Glad at least i know i have a shot at Fordham

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”