Should I Transfer? T3 to ?? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
civproismybish91

New

Should I Transfer? T3 to ??

Post by civproismybish91 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I am contemplating about sending out transfer applications for Fall 2018.

Currently: T3 (NY) + Top 10%
>50% scholly, but school will bump it to full scholly for my last two years.
AA - not sure if that matters at this point.

T3 has already asked me to do OCI.

Ultimate goal = big law --> become a professor --> (also want to live in NY)

I want to apply to Georgetown and Cornell. I may throw an app at NYU, but it depends on how this semester goes.

Only problem is - I don't know if I wanna lose the connections I have at this school! But I keep wondering if the "name" will hold me back....

Any advice would be lovely!

Lawl_Schoolz

New

Re: Should I Transfer? T3 to ??

Post by Lawl_Schoolz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 pm

If your goal is truly academia (and tenure-track academia not like legal writing prof), then yes the T3 will hold you back for pretty much any reasonable law school to teach at. Though, the truth of the matter is outside of HYSCC the dropoff in academic placement is significant. You'd need to be pretty high in your class at a T-14 and have some research agenda plus some other prestigious things in your background to have even a "reasonable" shot at academia if you're not at one of those. Even the people at HYSCC have a somewhat uphill battle to academia.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Should I Transfer? T3 to ??

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 pm

A career as a tenure track law prof. usually requires significant published work & graduation from a highly ranked law school with stellar credentials.

Currently, it appears that you are a student at New York Law School, or, possibly, Pace or Hofstra (with Albany Law & SUNY Buffalo being possible as well). While free tuition is attractive, it is not likely to result in biglaw followed by a law school professorship.

The better course of action is to aim for biglaw, get published & get significant experience in one practice area, then become an adjunct professor while remaining at your law firm. Whether or not top 10% is adequate to place into biglaw from your current law school is another issue, however.

No harm in applying as a transfer to Georgetown, Cornell, Penn, NYU & Columbia.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”