Transfer from Penn to Harvard Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from Penn to Harvard

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 am

Hey everyone,

I just got my grades back from my first semester at Penn Law - I have an average grade of slightly above a B+ average which would put me at about the median at school. I am a little heart broken because I was really hoping to transfer to HLS because my husband works in Boston. What are my current chances/any advice on what my grades should look like this Spring to enable me to transfer? Penn also doesn't release class ranks/GPA averages so I don't know what my exact class rank or GPA is (I don't receive any financial assistance at Penn which is why transferring to HLS doesn't seem like a bad idea financially at all).

Thanks!!

obx

New

Re: Transfer from Penn to Harvard

Post by obx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I just got my grades back from my first semester at Penn Law - I have an average grade of slightly above a B+ average which would put me at about the median at school. I am a little heart broken because I was really hoping to transfer to HLS because my husband works in Boston. What are my current chances/any advice on what my grades should look like this Spring to enable me to transfer? Penn also doesn't release class ranks/GPA averages so I don't know what my exact class rank or GPA is (I don't receive any financial assistance at Penn which is why transferring to HLS doesn't seem like a bad idea financially at all).

Thanks!!

To my knowledge, things haven’t changed, and over a b+ is definitely above median. Pretty sure consensus was that median was a bit below b+ Largely since b-s were on the curve and not discretionary. But also I think think an in depth discussion of this is harmful and undercuts the point of the no-gpa/tank policy. Also, HLS is not likely.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:02 pm

obx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks!!

To my knowledge, things haven’t changed, and over a b+ is definitely above median. Pretty sure consensus was that median was a bit below b+ Largely since b-s were on the curve and not discretionary. But also I think think an in depth discussion of this is harmful and undercuts the point of the no-gpa/tank policy. Also, HLS is not likely.
Yeah, the chances of transferring to Harvard are as close to 0% as you can get. Sorry.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm

There is another option that you should consider: Third Year Visiting Student at Harvard Law School. Acceptable reasons include Personal Hardship.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:There is another option that you should consider: Third Year Visiting Student at Harvard Law School. Acceptable reasons include Personal Hardship.
Yeah this is your best bet.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:There is another option that you should consider: Third Year Visiting Student at Harvard Law School. Acceptable reasons include Personal Hardship.
Yeah this is your best bet.
Unfortunately, the chances are still extremely low if OP's main reason for visiting would be to rejoin a spouse. See the following, from the HLS website:
The Administrative Board will approve up to five students each year for each program (Visits To and Away), basing its decisions on the significant personal circumstances presented. Please note that living apart from a spouse or significant other does not, in and of itself, constitute a significant circumstance for purposes of the Third Year Visiting Program.
LINK: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/dos/program ... ar-visits/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”