What would you do if you were me, 4.05 @ T30 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
summer1Lquestion

New

What would you do if you were me, 4.05 @ T30

Post by summer1Lquestion » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Ended first semester with a 4.05 and 2 CALIs. Currently at a school in the T30 in the region I want to practice in on 2/3 scholarship.

Career goals in a perfect world are fed honors or biglaw/clerk --> fed

Have some fed Externships lined up for this summer and next year. I think my school has between a 25-30% biglaw/clerk placement percentage, not sure what their historical success with honors placement is.

Any thoughts on transferring v. staying put?

Thanks in advance, you all always seem to know what's up

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: What would you do if you were me, 4.05 @ T30

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

if you're in the region you want to practice and want to clerk, i'm sure your school will do its damndest to get you a clerkship with a judge in your district.

you should be asking your school's OCS and upperclassmen for more narrowly tailored advice. all TLS can tell you is to apply to clerkships, do OCI, and apply to SLIP, which is general knowledge.

summer1Lquestion

New

Post by summer1Lquestion » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 pm

pancakes3 wrote:if you're in the region you want to practice and want to clerk, i'm sure your school will do its damndest to get you a clerkship with a judge in your district.

you should be asking your school's OCS and upperclassmen for more narrowly tailored advice. all TLS can tell you is to apply to clerkships, do OCI, and apply to SLIP, which is general knowledge.
Gotcha, thanks for the advice

harborleaguemvp

New

Post by harborleaguemvp » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Apply to transfer to a T-14 knowing you'll be admitted to at least one. Take the admission letter to your current school and negotiate an increased scholarship (full) to stay.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm

harborleaguemvp wrote:Apply to transfer to a T-14 knowing you'll be admitted to at least one. Take the admission letter to your current school and negotiate an increased scholarship (full) to stay.
Do you know anyone that has done this successfully?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summer1Lquestion

New

Post by summer1Lquestion » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Nebby wrote:
harborleaguemvp wrote:Apply to transfer to a T-14 knowing you'll be admitted to at least one. Take the admission letter to your current school and negotiate an increased scholarship (full) to stay.
I'm not sure, I've seen it posted as a thing to do on here a lot but don't really know how to figure out if my school does it besides asking upperclassmen

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 pm

summer1Lquestion wrote:
Nebby wrote:
I'm not sure, I've seen it posted as a thing to do on here a lot but don't really know how to figure out if my school does it besides asking upperclassmen
It's incredibly uncommon and takes a lot of effort and could kill relationships, particularly in light of the reality that most schools don't negotiate to keep prospective transfers.

summer1Lquestion

New

Post by summer1Lquestion » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Nebby wrote:
summer1Lquestion wrote:
Nebby wrote:
It's incredibly uncommon and takes a lot of effort and could kill relationships, particularly in light of the reality that most schools don't negotiate to keep prospective transfers.
Ok well thats good to know, a lot of posters on here make it seem like its pretty normal. Thanks for the heads up

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Totally anecdotal but I had my T-50 offer money to try to keep me and I was only right around top 15%. Not saying OP's school will do the same necessarily, but it may be worth considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 pm

you've got to look at it from the school's perspective.

The pros of having students/retaining students is to collect tuition. You leaving will take money out of their pocket. However, if they gave you full scholly, you're a net 0 for them, while taking up a seat at the school. The only remaining benefit of keeping you is that you're a smart kid, and when you get out in the workforce, the school will reap reputational gains. However, while a 4.05 is VERY impressive, the person that replaces you in rank when you leave will fill your shoes nicely, especially for the price.

This is why it's much easier to get scholarships before attending and from a transfer. Someone with stats above the 75th percentile actually has value to bring in boosting the rankings that the school is willing to eat the costs of attending (more accurately pass the costs along to the poor soul paying sticker).

these scholarships aren't really "merit" based at all. merit is merely a proxy for other factors that the school actually cares about.

edit on preview: yeah, it'd be worth the school's time to offer *some* money but that incentive goes away quickly when it's a full ride v. a half ride. bc again - it's not the school giving you money, it's the school still taking money from you, just a little less.

summer1Lquestion

New

Post by summer1Lquestion » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 pm

pancakes3 wrote:you've got to look at it from the school's perspective.

The pros of having students/retaining students is to collect tuition. You leaving will take money out of their pocket. However, if they gave you full scholly, you're a net 0 for them, while taking up a seat at the school. The only remaining benefit of keeping you is that you're a smart kid, and when you get out in the workforce, the school will reap reputational gains. However, while a 4.05 is VERY impressive, the person that replaces you in rank when you leave will fill your shoes nicely, especially for the price.

This is why it's much easier to get scholarships before attending and from a transfer. Someone with stats above the 75th percentile actually has value to bring in boosting the rankings that the school is willing to eat the costs of attending (more accurately pass the costs along to the poor soul paying sticker).

these scholarships aren't really "merit" based at all. merit is merely a proxy for other factors that the school actually cares about.

edit on preview: yeah, it'd be worth the school's time to offer *some* money but that incentive goes away quickly when it's a full ride v. a half ride. bc again - it's not the school giving you money, it's the school still taking money from you, just a little less.
Yeah that makes sense. Honestly hate all the negotiating stuff, already negotiated up before coming and it's always awkward asking for money. School doesn't rank FWIW but sounds like the best option is to just chill. Thanks for the help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”