3.53 from Notre Dame. Chances at Cornell and higher ranked schools? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.53 from Notre Dame. Chances at Cornell and higher ranked schools?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 am

Finished this semester with a 3.53 at Notre Dame. ND doesn’t rank, just sets the median for 1L year around 3.35. FWIW, my UG GPA was pretty terrible, LSAT was decent.

Looking at Cornell’s old 509 reports, it looks like I’d have a decent shot at transferring there (assuming my grades stay consistent). I’m also interested in HYS (lol), CCN, Penn, and Duke.

Am I correct in saying that I’m on track for Cornell but would probably need to raise my GPA in order to get into any of the other schools on my list?

joefresh

New

Re: 3.53 from Notre Dame. Chances at Cornell and higher ranked schools?

Post by joefresh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

Don't get too caught up in the 509 gpa's. It's mostly about rank. Problem with Cornell is that you are unlikely to be able to use their OCI (they admit transfers too late intentionally).
PM me.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

I respectfully disagree, re: rank vs. GPA. GPA is what they have to report and not all schools rank, especially among the T20s/T13s. I was top 20% at my T1 when I transferred to CCN with that exact GPA. If you can maintain or go up, I think you have a good chance at NYU. If you can go up significantly, I think YS are still unlikely, but H is a possibility, as well as Chicago and Columbia. Penn doesn't take many transfers, so I'm not sure, but probably similar chances as Chicago and Columbia.

Agree with respect to OCI--most posters suggest that Cornell doesn't let transfers participate.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Fair enough. I'd think rank would matter because gpa varies amongst schools... but oh well.

For fun, I'm gonna say OP is 100% in at Cornell ... which he should not do unless OCI or a job already; likely at Penn and duke; maybe for CCN; no dice for HYS.

OP apply to GULC ED for backup.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Depending on where you want to go and what you want to do, top of ND + law review could outperform Cornell transfer. A friend of mine transferred ND>Cornell and regretted it terribly, he completely struck out at OCI. Northwestern/Chicago would probably be a completely different story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”