Transfer Chances: Chicago, Penn, Columbia, Cornell? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Liszt1811

New

Transfer Chances: Chicago, Penn, Columbia, Cornell?

Post by Liszt1811 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 pm

I realize I only have one semester of grades, but I'm wondering where I have a realistic shot given my GPA and school ranking. I currently have a 4.1 (on a 2.7 curve), the rankings weren't released yet but I'm likely within the top 2%, and my school is ranked between 90 and 100. Even if I do finish ranked first, HYS are all likely out of the question, but I'm wondering where I should focus my efforts. I'm not definitely set on transferring, but if accepted into Penn, Chicago, or Columbia I'd probably go. Are any of those schools realistic based on my numbers? (not willing to go ED at Chicago) Thank you in advance for any advice.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Transfer Chances: Chicago, Penn, Columbia, Cornell?

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm

If you can maintain, H might be worth the app. They do take a fair number of transfer applicants from T2s, and have over the years. Not a ton that are that far down in T2 for the most part, but if you look at their ABA 509 disclosure from last year they took a few from schools ranked in the 60s, 70s, and even up to the high 80s. Chicago definitely took from lower tier 2s. Mostly they're regional/midwestern schools, but I'd still say worth it. Columbia, same situation as Chicago--definitely do take lower t2's, high 80s into the 100s, but primarily other NY schools in those cases (though Miami is there and I think they're 70s or 80s). And ditto to Penn--their T2s are mostly coming from Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York. I don't think I would read that as regional T2s getting an advantage--I would read it as self-selection in the applicant pool. Most people can't justify the cost of transferring AND moving/starting over in an often more expensive city. I think with your GPA, especially with such a rough curve, you've got a great shot at those schools. Get your applications in as early as possible after they're released if you feel like your spring performance is going to be similar. (i.e., don't wait to apply until you have spring grades)
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liszt1811

New

Post by Liszt1811 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for the specifics, and yeah I probably will apply to Harvard just because it's worth a shot.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 pm

T2 top 5% has a good (>50%) shot at CCNP.
T2 top 2% has a great (>75%) shot at CCNP.
T2 top 2% has a good (>50%) shot at H.

Would you transfer to Georgetown? It may be worth applying there EA.

Liszt1811

New

Post by Liszt1811 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Nebby, it probably sounds ridiculous, but I have a full scholarship to my current school and other significant ties, so at this point, I'm probably not willing to go to transfer to Georgetown. Although, I've definitely given thought to the idea, and if I look into it more I might be convinced.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am

Liszt1811 wrote:Nebby, it probably sounds ridiculous, but I have a full scholarship to my current school and other significant ties, so at this point, I'm probably not willing to go to transfer to Georgetown. Although, I've definitely given thought to the idea, and if I look into it more I might be convinced.
That's not ridiculous at all. For a lot of people, staying put is the right call. :)

Liszt1811

New

Post by Liszt1811 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Just found out that I'm ranked in the top 2ish percent of my class. Only considering CCN, would falling slightly outside of the top 2 percent ruin my chances?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Liszt1811 wrote:Just found out that I'm ranked in the top 2ish percent of my class. Only considering CCN, would falling slightly outside of the top 2 percent ruin my chances?
No, if you stay within top 5%, then you've still got a good shot.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm

transferring to Georgetown with a 4.1 would be a total waste of your GPA and transfer opportunities. You're looking at a pretty easy T10 if you maintain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”