Question for UT students Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question for UT students

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:58 pm

I am a UTexas Law transfer and am unfamiliar with secondary journals. I'm guessing with the amount they have there's some type of hierarchy among which journals are good. However, I'm not familiar with which one is which, and obviously was not around for spring semester to hear about the different ones.

Does anyone have any advice on which one to write on to during spring or next summer (UT allows 3L write on), or if a secondary is even worth it?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Question for UT students

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Probably not worth it but whichever one is the least work. Maybe TJOGEL?

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:08 pm

The hierarchy is TLR and then everything else. You should join a secondary journal for two reasons:

1. It's one of the easiest ways to make friends as a transfer.

2. So employers don't ask why you're not on a journal. You don't join a journal to have something to talk about, but to avoid suspicion.

I would say probably the best journals are TROL,TJOGEL, and the new Tech journal. TJOGEL has an amazing alaumni network, TROl is full of cool people who you can actually hang out with, and the new tech one is interesting and also has great members. International one is a shit ton of work so stay away from that one, and all the others are okay, but I'd suggest one of those three for sure. If you're interested in IP, then definitely join the IP journal, otherwise pick from TROL/TJOGEL/JOLTT.

law9898

New

Post by law9898 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:27 pm

TROL, TILJ and TJOGEL are probably the most recognizable of the secondary journals. I wouldn't say any of them are more "prestigious" or better than the other ones, but I'm guessing they have the most members and have been around the longest. TROL and TILJ do require a significant amount of time for a secondary journal though. If I had to go back and pick again I would have done TJOGEL because of the work requirement and it at least sounds interesting on a resume. It's really not that big of a deal which one you pick, although I would suggest that all transfers to participate in some extracurricular like a journal or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”