Practicing in a different state than your law school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
espmma

New

Practicing in a different state than your law school

Post by espmma » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 am

Hey everyone, I'm a current 1L at Florida State University, which is a great law school and I absolutely love the faculty and environment here. Unfortunately, I do no feel the same about Florida in general. I do not wish to remain in Florida long term, and I would prefer to move out west. The University of Colorado Boulder Law has a good program, but I'm not sure if I really want to transfer after building relationships with professors which can bring future recommendations and such. I know a lot of job prospects are developed by knowing others and building upon relationships. What steps should I take to practice out west in the future? Should I begin in Florida and then move once I'm established? How common is it for attorneys to relocate to other states? Do I take the bar in Georgia which honors reciprocity unlike Florida? I suppose much of it will also depend on the career field that I want to be involved in as well. I would appreciate any insight you all may have in this subject. Cheers.

Thesaurus

Silver

Re: Practicing in a different state than your law school

Post by Thesaurus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 am

Why did you matriculate at FSU if you don't want to be in Florida? It's concerning that you're a week or two into the semester and thinking about transferring.

espmma

New

Post by espmma » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:50 am

I was accepted into their program before realizing my desire to practice elsewhere. I'm a lifelong Florida resident. There's nothing wrong with the law school, and I don't intent to give off that impression. The program is phenomenal. I'm more curious as to what prospects I would have post law school if I do not wish to practice in Florida.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:11 am

espmma wrote:I was accepted into their program before realizing my desire to practice elsewhere. I'm a lifelong Florida resident. There's nothing wrong with the law school, and I don't intent to give off that impression. The program is phenomenal. I'm more curious as to what prospects I would have post law school if I do not wish to practice in Florida.
I would say grades will make any decision to practice elsewhere easier. For now forget about all of these concerns and get good grades.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 am

espmma wrote:I was accepted into their program before realizing my desire to practice elsewhere. I'm a lifelong Florida resident. There's nothing wrong with the law school, and I don't intent to give off that impression. The program is phenomenal. I'm more curious as to what prospects I would have post law school if I do not wish to practice in Florida.
The bolded is a stretch. Assuming a phenomenal law school exists, it is one that offers you a significant scholarship and a degree which has national portability.

Thesaurus

Silver

Post by Thesaurus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 pm

It is possible to network and find a job in another state from where your school is but obviously the logistics are more complicated and difficult. Focus on 1L grades and maybe try to do your summer internships in the place you hope to end up. Colorado may be a difficult state to break into without any ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”