Any other transfers having buyer remorse? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any other transfers having buyer remorse?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Transferred to a T14 from a T2. Beginning to feel like it may have been a mistake. I have a few CBs but know of ppl with numbers way lower than me getting CBs to great regional firms around my T2. Have a feel h I'm gonna be jobless. Did any other transfers go through this? I feel like I made a mistake.

McChicken

New

Re: Any other transfers having buyer remorse?

Post by McChicken » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I transferred to a T13 from TTT, had 3 CBs, and have already received a rejection from one firm. It is incredibly stressful, but I would like to think that I am in a better position going into the post-OCI game.

Bartolomeus

New

Post by Bartolomeus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes. I misapprehended how difficult the whole process would be. In many instances, it seems like interviewers know, regardless of how good your grades were at your previous school, that they're not going to consider you.

stressed

New

Post by stressed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm a transfer student too. I got 5 callbacks and one of them rejected me already. However, I'm hoping something else will work out.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:29 pm

It is still early. Keep mass mailing aggressively.

I transferred to T14 a few years back and struck out completely -- 0 CBs from OCI. I can totally relate to the stress, esp. if you've given up a scholarship to pay sticker. I eventually landed at market-paying regional firm from mass-mailing and lateraled up to a prominent national firm. Know several other transfers in my class who were no-offered or didn't get an SA and almost all have landed on their feet. You will likely land an SA if you are diligent and timely with mass mailing, but even if not the transfer will pay off for you in the long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 pm

I whole-heartedly agree with eastcoast_iub. It's still early, and you should be working hard on mass-mailing right now.

I transferred from a T1 school to a YSH school a couple years ago. I had several callbacks from OCI, but no offers from those firms (I primarily targeted DC firms, but also a couple in my home region). I continued mass-mailing and doing callbacks until late September, and finally got two DC offers in mid-October from V20 firms.

Don't give up. The first part of your first semester as a transfer can be rough, but it gets better. Looking back, I'm so glad I transferred.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:01 pm

think about it this way guys, you also could've totally struck out at your last school too, and it's better to strike out at a t14 than a TT or TTT because your options are just far greater, all other things being equal. You can't know how it would've gone at your last place,so the only thing you can do is maximize leveraging your move to a much better school.

Keep on the grind, and try your hardest to get great grades because you're starting out with a 0.00.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

I would rather have a T14 degree then whatever school you came from.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 pm

totally normal. my understanding is that most say its worth it in the longer term (5+ years after transfer) but OCI is considerably tougher for transfers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:totally normal. my understanding is that most say its worth it in the longer term (5+ years after transfer) but OCI is considerably tougher for transfers.
OCI is not "considerably tougher" for transfers as a general rule. It is school (and even person) dependent.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

quiver wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:totally normal. my understanding is that most say its worth it in the longer term (5+ years after transfer) but OCI is considerably tougher for transfers.
OCI is not "considerably tougher" for transfers as a general rule. It is school (and even person) dependent.
yes it is.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:25 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
quiver wrote:
yes it is.
+1, caveat: based on my own statistically insignificant observations

OP: I was a transfer too (many years ago). 100% worth it tome.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:19 pm

longtimelurker123 wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
quiver wrote:
yes it is.
+1, caveat: based on my own statistically insignificant observations

OP: I was a transfer too (many years ago). 100% worth it tome.
The vast vast majority of transfers at my transfer school did extremely well at OCI, and that is true of my transfer year as well as the preceding and succeeding transfer years. Were there isolated individuals who struggled? Of course. Hence why I said it was school and even person dependent.

In any case, OP, keep plugging away. It's a long process sometimes, but keep pushing and don't stop applying until you get a job. Try not to get discouraged.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

applejax

New

Post by applejax » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Transfer from T1 to T10. Was top 1/3 during 1L (not that impressive compared to other transfers). Received 14 callbacks through OCI and accepted offer at V20 in NY. Not URM. I have lots of work experience and practiced my interviewing tactics. OCI success for transfers is case-by-case. All transfers whom I know at my new school did well during OCI but of course my transfer friends might not be representative.

Bartolomeus

New

Post by Bartolomeus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Remember transfers, mass mail, especially to firm in areas to which you have a previous connection. Though I managed to get a few offers in my target market, I quickly realized that the stigma I thought employers from my home market would have ("Why did you leave if you wanted to practice in XXX?") wasn't as much of an impediment as I had believed. In fact, they are usually amenable to explanation that you were simply maximizing your options, as you know the market is very competitive, etc. This worked for me, but I acknowledge it's only my anecdote and, as such, should be taken with a few pinches of salt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”