NYU vs. GULC - LA/SF and NYC Biglaw Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU vs. GULC - LA/SF and NYC Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi guys,

How are the two schools viewed in each regions for biglaw? Looking to practice long term in either market with whatever I land for 2L.

When accounting for the larger class size of GULC, placement seems very similar, with GULC having less success in the V10 market. Any thoughts? Thanks

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: NYU vs. GULC - LA/SF and NYC Biglaw

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm

NYU wins on pretty much every category. Is Georgetown significantly cheaper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Similar cost (sticker, with NYC probably being slightly higher on COA)

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 pm

NYU hands down IMO

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

Depends where you want to practise....

If New York, then NYC hands down. Also if you are gunning for entertainment law.

If elsewhere then GULC.

By the way what are your stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mockingbird42

New

Post by Mockingbird42 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

DolnaRay wrote:Depends where you want to practise....

If New York, then NYC hands down. Also if you are gunning for entertainment law.

If elsewhere then GULC.
This isn't true. Even in DC, firms have a lower GPA cut-off from NYU than GULC. (Data based on conversations between NYU & GULC kids at my internship preparing for OCI).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am

Mockingbird42 wrote:
DolnaRay wrote:Depends where you want to practise....

If elsewhere then GULC.
This isn't true. Even in DC, firms have a lower GPA cut-off from NYU than GULC. (Data based on conversations between NYU & GULC kids at my internship preparing for OCI).
I think the point is that more firms in LA pull from GULC than from NYU. This could be self selection, as there are more students at NYU who want NYC than LA, but there are fare more GULC alum in LA than NYU alum (even adjusting for class size).

EDIT: *alums working in big law.
Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 am

Pretty sure NYU would be better even for D.C. Also don't think GULC has as good of big law placement as any of the schools above it.

Mockingbird42

New

Post by Mockingbird42 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Mockingbird42 wrote:
I think the point is that more firms in LA pull from GULC than from NYU. This could be self selection, as there are more students at NYU who want NYC than LA, but there are fare more GULC alum in LA than NYU alum (even adjusting for class size).

If you mean shear number of alumni in LA, you may be right. But that can be explained away by (1) larger class size or (2) city self-selection. The lower GPA floor at NYU means that objectively an NYU student has a better chance. I think its just a better variable for comparison.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Mockingbird42 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Mockingbird42 wrote:

If you mean shear number of alumni in LA, you may be right. But that can be explained away by (1) larger class size or (2) city self-selection. The lower GPA floor at NYU means that objectively an NYU student has a better chance. I think its just a better variable for comparison.
Yes, that is what I said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”