If you made journal at school 1, should you put it on your resume? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If you made journal at school 1, should you put it on your resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:21 pm

If we made journal at our old school, should we put it on our resume, and if so, how should it be listed? I wasn't sure, since I'll never technically be "on" it.

Leslieknopepawnee

New

Re: If you made journal at school 1, should you put it on your resume?

Post by Leslieknopepawnee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:24 pm

You can always say "selected for"

BholeTransfer

New

Post by BholeTransfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 pm

South Harmon Institute of Technology Law Review (invited)

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 pm

Was it law review? If it was a secondary, I would not include it. If law review, I still wouldn't put it on my resume, though I might put it on LinkedIn.

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 pm

The way that has been recommended to me is "Invited to join Journal Name" under "Honors" section of old school - which I would do for OCI purposes. Afterwards, not sure if as useful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

This discussion has been had before, and the opinions always are all over the spectrum. For me, personally, I think it's weird to put that you were invited onto a journal at the school you left. You generally list a journal for three reasons:
1) As a signalling mechanism;
2) To show you're involved; and
3) For networking purposes.

Only #1 survives when you transfer, but your transfer school is the signaling mechanism at that point. Do you think that that a Columbia alumnus is going to care that you were selected for the University of Miami Law Review (for example)? If you have the grades to transfer, it's pretty much expected you'd make law review (in most cases).

Plus, you're not going to actually do the law review work (which some employers think has value). You're not interviewing with people who were members of that law review (which is where networking comes in).

I just don't think it adds any value, but as I said, opinions on this are always all over the map.

the85bears

New

Post by the85bears » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

How would you list it if you wanted to show that you made Law Review by write-on competition? This seems like an important distinction since grade-on invitations would be a given for transfers who did well at the former school.

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:50 pm

the85bears wrote:How would you list it if you wanted to show that you made Law Review by write-on competition? This seems like an important distinction since grade-on invitations would be a given for transfers who did well at the former school.
"____ Law Review, Received invitation to join following Write-On Competition"

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

the85bears wrote:How would you list it if you wanted to show that you made Law Review by write-on competition? This seems like an important distinction since grade-on invitations would be a given for transfers who did well at the former school.

Why is it an important distinction? I've heard this before, but I don't really see how it changes anything or is more or less impressive than getting on law review by other means. Like, I think you could think of a way to phrase it, e.g., as stumpy wrote above, but I think it's more likely to call attention to itself in a bad way. I think if I saw something to that effect on a resume, I'd just kind of wonder "so what?"

[Alt. suggestion: Invited to join XYZ Law Review based on competition performance."?]
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

NoDayButToday wrote:

Why is it an important distinction? I've heard this before, but I don't really see how it changes anything or is more or less impressive than getting on law review by other means. Like, I think you could think of a way to phrase it, e.g., as stumpy wrote above, but I think it's more likely to call attention to itself in a bad way. I think if I saw something to that effect on a resume, I'd just kind of wonder "so what?"

[Alt. suggestion: Invited to join XYZ Law Review based on competition performance."?]
I made the distinction on my resume because I think it (1) shows that you had the initiative to do the competition at all, and (2) it's another piece of evidence to show you're good at legal research and writing. Grading onto law review does neither of these, so I think it's worth including the detail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”