St. Mary's to UT Austin Transfer Chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

St. Mary's to UT Austin Transfer Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

***Hello, TLS-this is my first post so feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong spot***

I am thinking about transferring from St. Mary's University (regional/T4 school in TX) to UT Austin. I am hoping if I throw out my current stats, I might be able to get some advice as to what my chances in transferring might be.

STATS: 3.78 GPA (on 2.6 curve); approx. class rank: 6/280; undergrad GPA 3.86; LSAT 148 (poor, I know)

Also, I have received 3 CALI awards, and graded on to law review (for what it's worth). My reason for transferring is the fact that I want to do BigLaw, and virtually nobody gets hired to work for the largest firms from STMU. I understand it will be a challenge even at UT in today's market, especially as a transfer, but I like my chances better there. Also, I am originally from Austin and have family friends who are on the faculty at UT Law. Basically, I feel confident about all my admissions stats except the LSAT score. I was working 60 hours a week, finishing undergrad and severely underestimated the LSAT (I know again, excuses, excuses). Anyway, honest feedback about my chances would be greatly appreciated.

BholeTransfer

New

Re: St. Mary's to UT Austin Transfer Chances

Post by BholeTransfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:***Hello, TLS-this is my first post so feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong spot***

I am thinking about transferring from St. Mary's University (regional/T4 school in TX) to UT Austin. I am hoping if I throw out my current stats, I might be able to get some advice as to what my chances in transferring might be.

STATS: 3.78 GPA (on 2.6 curve); approx. class rank: 6/280; undergrad GPA 3.86; LSAT 148 (poor, I know)

Also, I have received 3 CALI awards, and graded on to law review (for what it's worth). My reason for transferring is the fact that I want to do BigLaw, and virtually nobody gets hired to work for the largest firms from STMU. I understand it will be a challenge even at UT in today's market, especially as a transfer, but I like my chances better there. Also, I am originally from Austin and have family friends who are on the faculty at UT Law. Basically, I feel confident about all my admissions stats except the LSAT score. I was working 60 hours a week, finishing undergrad and severely underestimated the LSAT (I know again, excuses, excuses). Anyway, honest feedback about my chances would be greatly appreciated.
Have you already applied and are now asking for advice on you chances? Or are you just now considering applying? Because the deadline for applications was almost a month ago (June 19). Regardless of your stats, it seems like you are probably too late.

If you have already applied, I think you have a decent shot. UT is big on Texas ties and it looks like that shouldn't be a problem for you. The biggest thing at this point, if you get in, is making sure you can participate in OCI, which you might not be able to this late in the game.

Anonymous User

Re: St. Mary's to UT Austin Transfer Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:34 am

Sorry-I neglected to mention I'm doing the part-time program currently at STMU (working full-time, too) and will not have enough hours to transfer until Spring 2018. I think the plan would be I'd go in to UT as a 1st semester 2L in Jan of next year. Participating in OCI would be wonderful of course, especially at UT. I don't think I'm missing out on much at the STMU OCI event as only a handful of employers are attending--mostly small(ish) firms that don't have practice areas I'd want.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”