Thanking LOR writers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KijiStewart

Bronze

Thanking LOR writers

Post by KijiStewart » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Is anything more than a short email saying "thanks again for the consideration and extending the time .. I got into school X in part due to your letter" necessary?

I remember when applying to law school some people gave their profs a souvenir from new school (I didn't).

Bartolomeus

New

Re: Thanking LOR writers

Post by Bartolomeus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:40 am

I think it's a function of how close a relationship you have and how important that relationship is. I'm at minimum doing some handwritten cards containing not only thanks but a reflection on the classes and discussions we had, mainly because I like my professors both for their sweet, sweet recommendations/references and as people.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:15 am

I wouldn't send them souvenirs from the new school -- especially if they were reluctant to see good students leave their law school. But I would send thank you cards that reflect on the class, and also send in small gifts. I'm from outside of the U.S. originally, so I gave all my professors who wrote my recommendation something from my hometown that they could use -- e.g. book marks carved by wood, loose leaf tea, etc. Nothing too expensive, but something that reminds them of me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”