T30 + full ride, transfer to Michigan? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T30 + full ride, transfer to Michigan?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

deleted

Thanks everyone for input!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Re: T30 + full ride, transfer to Michigan?

Post by $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:59 pm

I wouldn't. Graduate debt free and hustle the next two years to get a firm job if you can't get one through OCI.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Edit: Didnt see the full ride part. This is tough because you have 9 interviews set up.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 am

I was in a similar position - at a (then) T25 with 90% scholly. Transferred to MI and it was a great decision. Myself and some other transfers in my class struggled at OCI, while others killed it, but everyone I know who wanted big law has wound up there. I landed an SA at a regional big firm but made my way to a V10. School particularly carries a lot of weight in your first few years out after graduation and makes 3L OCI and lateralling a lot easier if you don't get your preferred job out of OCI.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Why give up full ride again? COA would be like 75k/year, right? Thats 150k right there. Plus interest. Plus you gotta pay that AFTER taxes, so you really need to make like 300k to pay it back. You can get a great job now too, albeit maybe with a bit more effort. If thats worth 300k for you, go for it.

Nobody says you won't do well if you transfer, so the anecdote of the poster above isn't helpful. But you will likely do fine now too, and thats without having to make 300k to pay your loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:43 pm

OP here. Thanks for everyone's input. I am actually not from here so I can't take any loan. So the difference of the cost would be just the tuition--I have to spend my next two years somewhere...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for everyone's input. I am actually not from here so I can't take any loan. So the difference of the cost would be just the tuition--I have to spend my next two years somewhere...
How are you going to pay for tuition?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for everyone's input. I am actually not from here so I can't take any loan. So the difference of the cost would be just the tuition--I have to spend my next two years somewhere...
My family pays for it...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
My family pays for it...
If your family is rich and is fine with paying for the difference, do whatever you'd like. Are you trying to stay in the U.S. afterwards (and not a citizen)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
My family pays for it...
If your family is rich and is fine with paying for the difference, do whatever you'd like. Are you trying to stay in the U.S. afterwards (and not a citizen)?
Not rich but can pay without suffering. My goal is biglaws at NY right after graduation and I will try my reasonable best to stay.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Shootin wrote:Why give up full ride again? COA would be like 75k/year, right? Thats 150k right there. Plus interest. Plus you gotta pay that AFTER taxes, so you really need to make like 300k to pay it back. You can get a great job now too, albeit maybe with a bit more effort. If thats worth 300k for you, go for it.

Nobody says you won't do well if you transfer, so the anecdote of the poster above isn't helpful. But you will likely do fine now too, and thats without having to make 300k to pay your loans.
Because a full ride doesn't matter if you strike out and your chances of striking out are higher at your current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firm come to your OCI and how many alums from your school are in your target market, but no matter where you are, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout insurance -- as I said, even the UM transfers I know who struck out almost all ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

Numbers above are misleading as well -- you're still responsible for your living expenses at your current school, so it's not like you have nothing coming out-of-pocket right now. UM is also like the lowest cost-of-living location of all the T14s.

It's not a clear-cut decision to transfer, but you need to think about the whole picture instead of focusing on debt that can be paid off pretty quickly if you land at a big firm. I took on $125k in debt for transferring and had it paid off within 2 1/2 years.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
Shootin wrote:Why give up full ride again? COA would be like 75k/year, right? Thats 150k right there. Plus interest. Plus you gotta pay that AFTER taxes, so you really need to make like 300k to pay it back. You can get a great job now too, albeit maybe with a bit more effort. If thats worth 300k for you, go for it.

Because a full ride doesn't matter if you strike out and your chances of striking out are higher at your current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firms come to your OCI and how many alums from your school are in your target market, but no matter where you are, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout insurance -- as I said, even the UM transfers I know who struck out almost all ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

Numbers above are misleading as well -- you're still responsible for your living expenses at your current school, so it's not like you have nothing coming out-of-pocket right now. UM is also like the lowest cost-of-living location of all the T14s.

It's not a clear-cut decision to transfer, but you need to think about the whole picture instead of focusing on debt that can be paid off pretty quickly if you land at a big firm. I took on $125k in debt for transferring and had it paid off within 2 1/2 years.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:

Because a full ride doesn't matter if you strike out and your chances of striking out are higher at your current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firms come to your OCI and how many alums from your school are in your target market, but no matter where you are, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout insurance -- as I said, even the UM transfers I know who struck out almost all ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:28 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:

Because a full ride doesn't matter if she strikes out and her chances of striking out are higher at your current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firms come to your OCI and how many alums from your school are in your target market, but no matter where you are, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout insurance -- as I said, even the UM transfers I know who struck out almost all ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:28 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:

Because a full ride doesn't matter if she strikes out and her chances of striking out are higher at her current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firms come to her OCI and how many alums from her school are in your target market, but no matter where she is, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout/no-offer insurance -- as I said, a strong majority of the UM transfers I know who struck out or were no-offered ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

Numbers above are misleading as well -- she's still responsible for your living expenses at your current school, so it's not like she has nothing coming out-of-pocket right now. UM is also like the lowest cost-of-living location of all the T14s.

It's not a clear-cut decision to transfer, but she needs to think about the whole picture instead of focusing on debt that can be paid off pretty quickly if she lands at a big firm. I took on $125k in debt for transferring and had it paid off within 2 1/2 years.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:
eastcoast_iub wrote:

Because a full ride doesn't matter if she strikes out and her chances of striking out are higher at her current school. "You will likely do fine now too" isn't helpful -- a market-paying gig is by no means guaranteed with that school and grade combination. A lot depends on how many firms come to her OCI and how many alums from her school are in your target market, but no matter where she is, UM OCI will have a ton more firms coming than your current school. Also, a T14 name is like strikeout/no-offer insurance -- as I said, a strong majority of the UM transfers I know who struck out or were no-offered ultimately landed on their feet at a market-paying firm, either through 3L OCI or starting at a lesser-known firm and lateralling up.

Numbers above are misleading as well -- she's still responsible for your living expenses at your current school, so it's not like she has nothing coming out-of-pocket right now. UM is also like the lowest cost-of-living location of all the T14s.

It's not a clear-cut decision to transfer, but she needs to think about the whole picture instead of focusing on debt that can be paid off pretty quickly if she lands at a big firm. I took on $125k in debt for transferring and had it paid off within 2 1/2 years.

Good for you for paying it off quick. But you still had to make like 200k to pay it off. If T14 was so fool proof, then they all would have 100% employment stats. So suggesting that a market paying gig is guaranteed is a bit of a stretch. Maybe she has more of a chance at BL from michigan. You had to earn 200k for that maybe. I wouldn't. But maybe she will too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”