Should I transfer from TT to GW? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at TT School or transfer to GW?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 pm

TT School
22%
GW Law
78%

Total votes: 18

Anonymous User

Should I transfer from TT to GW?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Should I transfer to GW Law?

I am currently a top 20% student at a TT school with transfer acceptance to GW Law in DC. I have the GI Bill (I'm a veteran), so tuition is covered and cost of living is about the same in both places. Post graduation, I want to work in government, either in DC or in a smaller city not far from the TT.

TT School
- Academic year internship lined up already in local government
- Research Assistant position lined up for academic year: resume building more important to me than 4k per semester for two semesters
- Likely more alumni connections in city 2 hours away where I might want to live/work
- Top 20% in class solidified
- I know the people and familiar with the school

GW Law
- Better employment numbers
- Many opportunities in DC, but no academic year internship or research assistant position set up at this point
- Getting a job in DC would be easier from GW, whereas I could get a regional job just as easily from GW or the TT school.
- Potentially a better education: class variety and professor scholarship may or may not make me a better lawyer
- More prestige: possibly more flexibility in future employment with GW on the resume
- Write on to Law Review still possible
- GPA resets (good and bad)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perfunctory

Bronze

Re: Should I transfer from regional TT to GW?

Post by perfunctory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Looks like you have a good thing going where you are. Don't really see a good enough reason to transfer.

Lawstudent3000

New

Re: Should I transfer from TT to GW?

Post by Lawstudent3000 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:47 am

Tough one. I am transferring to georgetown this fall, and love the idea of jumping to the better school, but it really does seem like you have a pretty good thing going.

As far as long term, it's possible that GW can help beyond, but idk by as much as you think. You'd have to work pretty damn hard to be over median (as I will also) Honestly kind of split for me. I guess if I was in this situation (tuition/finances covered, etc) I'd go, but that's coming from the mindset of somebody who's already transferring.

If you do decide to transfer, maybe I'll see you in D.C haha

Good luck!

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Go to GW. I say this because costs are similar at both schools for you.

If you stay at your TT you're going to have that name on your resume your entire life. Plans change - a degree from GW is going to be significantly more portable than one from your TT. (unless, of course, you plan on staying in your TT town forever)

Prestige is the name of the game in law and although GW doesn't carry loads of it, its sure not going to act as a negative the way your TT degree will.

CR2019

New

Post by CR2019 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd echo the portability aspect of a GW degree vs the TT degree. Like the above posters have said, prestige is a huge factor in getting your foot in the door (while admittedly far from being the end all be all). If your plan is to work in government, the network at GW is likely more beneficial, unless you keep it local to your TT city. Either way best of luck with everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

but it looks like op has paved for him/herself a solid path to getting employment. gw and the area is very competitive, and getting a job there is far from guaranteed. also screw prestige

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm

I think you transfer. Cost is always one of the biggest considerations to take into account when transferring, so the fact that you have the GI Bill should weigh heavily in favor of GW. Other than that, I guess it comes down to whether you prefer DC > current location and how much you want the prestige boost from GW, which is significant. Congrats, and good luck with the decision!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:03 pm

perfunctory wrote:but it looks like op has paved for him/herself a solid path to getting employment. gw and the area is very competitive, and getting a job there is far from guaranteed. also screw prestige
...and you are still trying to get in there, right? (edited because dumb, dumb, dumb, I can't read)

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
perfunctory wrote:but it looks like op has paved for him/herself a solid path to getting employment. gw and the area is very competitive, and getting a job there is far from guaranteed. also screw prestige
...and you are still trying to get in there, right?
and what are you insinuating?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

perfunctory wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
...and you are still trying to get in there, right?
and what are you insinuating?
Just that the reasons you've given make it sound like you think Georgetown is a bad choice, which doesn't fit well with statements like these:
[quote="perfunctory"]anyone hear anything today? please...i will bleed georgetown....[/quote]and
[quote="perfunctory"]For those admitted [to NU as transfers] and attending, could you please withdraw from Gtown? Thanks![/quote]
(still completely wrong, sorry)

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 pm

gw and gtown - in terms of oci - are quite different, and i don't have his/her goals? cmon what a bully

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:48 pm

Oh shit, I completely apologize, I mixed up the schools. That was me being an idiot and I am truly sorry. (I thought the thread was about GT.) I take it all back, that was really dumb of me, I was just confused by what I thought were differing opinions while I was busy misreading everything.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 pm

I voted GW. At equal cost, I think it's the right move. Don't worry about internships and RA positions, you'll have opportunities to do that at GW. I think the GPA stuff will probably come out a wash. GW may be more rigorous, but lots of people check out after 1L anyways.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 pm

What TT, might actually matter in this respect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks all for the input. I've decided to transfer to GW. I'm also on the waiting list for Georgetown, but not holding onto much hope there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”