OCI at both schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
perfunctory

Bronze

OCI at both schools

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

I am waiting on a school as a transfer. Meanwhile, I have to submit bids for OCI at my current school. The school I'm waiting on has OCI later on. Assuming I get accepted as a transfer, would it be unethical/would there be problems with me doing OCI or just submitting bids at both schools? Thanks.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Re: OCI at both schools

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm pretty certain you should not submit bids at both school--you only get to do one OCI. But submit the bids at your current school now. If you get accepted to your transfer school then see how each school deals with it. I believe some schools will have you do OCI at your former school, whereas others have you do OCI at the transfer school.

I have zero personal experience with this but I think this is the gist I've gotten from reading TLS threads over the years.

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:59 pm

That really sucks...then I don't really see the benefit of transferring at this point. But who would even enforce this stuff? Would it come up during character and fitness? or is it some unwritten decency code

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:28 pm

perfunctory wrote:That really sucks...then I don't really see the benefit of transferring at this point. But who would even enforce this stuff? Would it come up during character and fitness? or is it some unwritten decency code
I don't think there's a problem submitting bids to two OCIs. I just don't think you can participate in two. Most schools (other than Cornell) allow transfers to participate in their OCI if you're admitted in time. And the admissions office is aware of the deadline so most transfers will meet it.

Some kid from my school tried to do OCI at both and got caught. I don't exactly know what the repercussions were but the school he transferred from banned him from their OCI when they found out.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm

nothing wrong with submitting with first school and then fixing it up and cancelling and submitting with second school. I thought about double OCI, I am happy I did not as I didn't realize how people remember you, the same people do OCI and its impossible not to get caught.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:34 pm

perfunctory wrote:That really sucks...then I don't really see the benefit of transferring at this point. But who would even enforce this stuff? Would it come up during character and fitness? or is it some unwritten decency code
Oops I meant you can't participate in two OCIs. Definitely submit bids to both so then you can figure out which one you can participate in

perfunctory

Bronze

Post by perfunctory » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Okay, good. Thanks!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Participate in as many as you can. Many transfer students participate in multiple OCIs. You have to do what's best for yourself. There's nothing unethical about it. If you land a CB from a firm you interviewed with at your old school, it should be no big deal informing the firm pre-CB/at CB/post-CB that you've decided to transfer schools.
Mullens wrote: Some kid from my school tried to do OCI at both and got caught. I don't exactly know what the repercussions were but the school he transferred from banned him from their OCI when they found out.
If that's the only repercussion, it doesn't seem to be a net-negative at all.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 am

runinthefront wrote:Participate in as many as you can. Many transfer students participate in multiple OCIs. You have to do what's best for yourself. There's nothing unethical about it. If you land a CB from a firm you interviewed with at your old school, it should be no big deal informing the firm pre-CB/at CB/post-CB that you've decided to transfer schools.
Mullens wrote: Some kid from my school tried to do OCI at both and got caught. I don't exactly know what the repercussions were but the school he transferred from banned him from their OCI when they found out.
It isn't an ethical violation, but it makes you look like an asshat. If you're transferring from a school, don't take opportunities away from the students who actually want to be there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:17 am

runinthefront wrote:Participate in as many as you can. Many transfer students participate in multiple OCIs. You have to do what's best for yourself. There's nothing unethical about it. If you land a CB from a firm you interviewed with at your old school, it should be no big deal informing the firm pre-CB/at CB/post-CB that you've decided to transfer schools.
I agree with the above, which is why I considered it, BUT unless it is two very different markets (thinking like Cardozo and UCLA) there is no way to pull it off without it backfiring.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 pm

My friend transferred from an inranked law school into a T14. Did OCI at his TTTT, a lower ranked T14 and finally the school that he matriculated at. Ended up copping an offer at one of the "best" firms from a CB he got via the first T14's OCI.

Sure it may backfire. Sure, maybe his classmates at school #1 thought he was a dick. But no one knew him at school #2 because he was there for a day, and no one gives a shit about him double (or triple dipping) at school #3 because there are jobs for everybody at this t14.

Ymmv. But I'd worry about myself personally
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:57 am

You're all hopeless incompetent at giving advice.

OP. Submit at your current school. If you're accepted to a school that you're going to transfer to, then cancel the old bids and bid at the new school. Double dipping isn't going to get you any further and you're going to be taking spots that students from your old school could take.

Now, there's no rule against double dipping, but if you're going to be a lawyer than I suggest you make the ethical choice and I think you know what that is.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 am

runinthefront wrote:My friend transferred from an inranked law school into a T14. Did OCI at his TTTT, a lower ranked T14 and finally the school that he matriculated at. Ended up copping an offer at one of the "best" firms from a CB he got via the first T14's OCI.

Sure it may backfire. Sure, maybe his classmates at school #1 thought he was a dick. But no one knew him at school #2 because he was there for a day, and no one gives a shit about him double (or triple dipping) at school #3 because there are jobs for everybody at this t14.

Ymmv. But I'd worry about myself personally
Sounds like an asshole and I hope he's staffed under tyrannical mid-levels that make him lose the will to live

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”