. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
futurelawstudent32

New

Post by futurelawstudent32 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Last edited by futurelawstudent32 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HamNewton

New

Re: Emory or Georgia State?

Post by HamNewton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Currently a SA in Atlanta. There's been a few events where a lot of the summers in the city come together and nearly everyone I've met is from Emory. So if BigLaw is the goal then I'd say Emory, although I'd probably say that regardless because why not go to the best school you got into.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 pm

futurelawstudent32 wrote:I'm currently top 20% at Mercer and got invited to join Law Review.

I've been accepted to Emory and GA State. I plan to work and live in Atlanta.

Thoughts?
Did you try Vandy? This is one of the cases where it might not be worth transfering. If Emory lets you on some type of journal then it may be worth it if you're paying sticker at Mercer. LR at top 20% is a good deal.

futurelawstudent32

New

Post by futurelawstudent32 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:23 am

HamNewton wrote:Currently a SA in Atlanta. There's been a few events where a lot of the summers in the city come together and nearly everyone I've met is from Emory. So if BigLaw is the goal then I'd say Emory, although I'd probably say that regardless because why not go to the best school you got into.
Last edited by futurelawstudent32 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

futurelawstudent32

New

Post by futurelawstudent32 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:
futurelawstudent32 wrote:I'm currently top 20% at Mercer and got invited to join Law Review.

Thoughts?
Did you try Vandy? This is one of the cases where it might not be worth transfering. If Emory lets you on some type of journal then it may be worth it if you're paying sticker at Mercer. LR at top 20% is a good deal.
Last edited by futurelawstudent32 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 am

futurelawstudent32 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:

Thoughts?
Nope. I only applied to GSU and Emory because I want to stay in Atlanta. I think I still have time to write on to Emory's int'l journal. Paying sticker (over $55K a year) is just really scary.
What would your debt project out to be if you stayed at Mercer / went to GSU / went to Emory. I went to UGA and landed at a smaller firm in atlanta. My combined debt with undergrad and law school was 130k. I make 100k but the student loan payments every month are pretty shitty. Also while some of my friends got big firm jobs, more probably got jobs making much less. You wouldn't want to transfer to a place like Emory, rack up a ton of debt, and then get a low paying job where it is very difficult to pay it back. I would try and see if the increase in job prospects is worth the additional debt, but my intuition is that it may not be.

futurelawstudent32

New

Post by futurelawstudent32 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:
futurelawstudent32 wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:

Thoughts?
Nope. I only applied to GSU and Emory because I want to stay in Atlanta. I think I still have time to write on to Emory's int'l journal. Paying sticker (over $55K a year) is just really scary.
What would your debt project out to be if you stayed at Mercer / went to GSU / went to Emory. I went to UGA and landed at a smaller firm in atlanta. My combined debt with undergrad and law school was 130k. I make 100k but the student loan payments every month are pretty shitty. Also while some of my friends got big firm jobs, more probably got jobs making much less. You wouldn't want to transfer to a place like Emory, rack up a ton of debt, and then get a low paying job where it is very difficult to pay it back. I would try and see if the increase in job prospects is worth the additional debt, but my intuition is that it may not be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”