Harvard Transfer 2017 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Joscellin

Gold

Re: Harvard Transfer 2017

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 pm

yyyuppp wrote:
Joscellin wrote:Grats to those in so far!

If I remember correctly, you'll get a followup email with details as to deadlines for commit, etc.
thanks! what was your experience with receiving financial aid as a transfer?
I was lucky in that I received a good bit, though a big part of that was aging out my parental consideration (which is like 29, I think?). That number will go way down next year due to SA money though.

As to timing, as I remember it, there will be an email that goes out with instructions for filing the various forms. Everything processed with plenty of time to spare before the semester though.

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:02 pm

What do folks here think? All the calls went out today or only some and the rest of us have to chew our nails through the weekend?

sometime82

New

Post by sometime82 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:04 pm

My phone is not with me ! how can i know if they tried to reach me or not?

Congratulations to everyone who got in! I am sure you can't believe it.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:07 pm

sometime82 wrote:My phone is not with me ! how can i know if they tried to reach me or not?

Congratulations to everyone who got in! I am sure you can't believe it.
check your status checker. earlier there was like a transfer enrollment and commitment form. thats gone now and has a bunch of info about enrollment and stuff. either way one of those should be a good indicator.

edit. transfer enrollment and commitment thing is still there, just under all the other info... and tasteful video
Last edited by yyyuppp on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 pm

In via status checker

ETA: For future applicants' reference--T50, top 10%, gpa 0.01 below the 25th percentile for transfers. Asian, not URM. Part-time.
Last edited by chicharon on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andyetbutso

New

Post by andyetbutso » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:16 pm

In today via call!

Stats for future reference, 5% T-20 Midwest school

Ozbert

New

Post by Ozbert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:12 am

Is there some restriction on pre-EIP offers?

bemp65

New

Post by bemp65 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 pm

In Friday via phone call!

#1 TT (50-60)

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Grats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hunt godlink

Bronze

Post by hunt godlink » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Last edited by hunt godlink on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerrymcguire1357

New

Post by jerrymcguire1357 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:21 pm

If I had to guess, they probably reached out to everyone Friday as there would really be no reason not to do so. Most likely, the rest of us haven't heard because they want to wait the week to see if all those they offered will accept or not before letting anyone go. Because of this, it's looking like a very slim chance that others hear back positively.

On the bright side, no need to be anxiously waiting, and if I'm wrong, then you get the golden ticket.

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:44 am

I think there are more calls to come. Went complete this morning. Had a friend call Monday to ask if all decisions had been released they said they were still finalizing decisions.

heregoeseverything

New

Post by heregoeseverything » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am

TheWalkingDebt wrote:I think there are more calls to come. Went complete this morning. Had a friend call Monday to ask if all decisions had been released they said they were still finalizing decisions.

I think they all went out :cry: Sorry to burst any bubbles. They all went out in one very short period last year and the year before.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JD1776

New

Post by JD1776 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:13 am

heregoeseverything wrote:
TheWalkingDebt wrote:I think there are more calls to come. Went complete this morning. Had a friend call Monday to ask if all decisions had been released they said they were still finalizing decisions.

I think they all went out :cry: Sorry to burst any bubbles. They all went out in one very short period last year and the year before.
Perhaps, but it's also the policy of the HLR to notify admissions when a prospective transfer student writes onto the HLR. I don't know when the HLR will be releasing the decisions, but it's conceivable that admissions is waiting to hear on those results before making a final decision on a (admittedly small) group of applicants.

yallayallamohandes

New

Post Removed

Post by yallayallamohandes » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Post Removed
Last edited by yallayallamohandes on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicharon

Silver

Post by chicharon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 pm

yallayallamohandes wrote:Anyone received any email with information about housing, financial aid, registration, etc?

I completed the online commitment form on the status checker page a while ago, but haven't got any detailed follow up email yet, other than a brief email saying that they would follow up soon.

I sent them an email asking when I would get such an email, but no reply yet.

Starting to wonder if the letter of admission displayed on my status checker page was due to a website malfunction.
I called, they said they're going to send emails about these things over the next few days.
Last edited by chicharon on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lollollol

New

Post by lollollol » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks for the call, that's a big relief... :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shawndawgwright

New

Post by shawndawgwright » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Anyone who hasn't heard anything still holding onto hope?

lollollol

New

Post by lollollol » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't know whether the offers were all sent, but I know some people (>2) admitted to H are going to S (and Y thread is still silent, so ...), so definitely more calls to come.

TheWalkingDebt

Silver

Post by TheWalkingDebt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 pm

shawndawgwright wrote:Anyone who hasn't heard anything still holding onto hope?
Yes. I just went complete Tuesday, also know two others turning down H, was told they were still finalizing decisions on Monday, and nobody admitted has gotten any email follow up yet, which seems slow given it has been three business days.

Not saying calls are definitely still happening, but evidence points to having some hope still.

BholeTransfer

New

Post by BholeTransfer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Just got dinged via status checker. Figured it was a matter of time since I didn't get a call last Friday. Good luck to everyone who made it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shawndawgwright

New

Post by shawndawgwright » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Just got dinged via email/status checker. Wasn't meant to be. Good luck and congrats to the rest of you.

sometime82

New

Post by sometime82 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Housing plans anyone ?

alexnoonan100

New

Post by alexnoonan100 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:46 pm

Welcome incoming 2Ls!

I’m a rising 2L and the JOLT Technical Editor, and I’d like to invite everyone interested in working on a journal this year to consider joining the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology (JOLT).

Why join JOLT?
[*] JOLT is the highest ranked specialty law journal in the country, and we’re second only in rankings to the Harvard Law Review amongst all publications on campus.
[*] JOLT is not just for those with a science background or an interest in practicing IP law. We publish an array of topics ranging from cyberlaw, patent, copyright, trademark, antitrust, privacy & security, biotech, telecommunications, energy, cybercrime, and much more. Of course, having JOLT on your resume makes a difference when talking to employers, especially in IP.
[*] JOLT is also a lot of fun! More than just a journal, JOLT is also a community. We put on speaker events and an IP career fair during the year, and we also host many social activities for members ranging from happy hours to study breaks to house parties.

There are many ways to get involved with JOLT, including working in our various functions such as editing, submissions, student writing, or programming. Specifically, we’ve reserved a few openings for transfer students in our more substantive roles in editing and submissions. Please read below for more information on how to apply. We will aim to have our masthead selection decisions made before the Early Interview Program (EIP) begins so that you can update your resumes to reflect any new roles you may be taking on within the journal. If you have any questions about JOLT, please feel free to contact the Editors-in-Chief at jolt@law.harvard.edu.

LINE EDITORS

If you have journal experience from your previous law school, you can apply to be a Line Editor. Line Editors manage a team of Subciters and are in charge of the technical and substantive editing for a section of an article or student note. The major time commitments for a Line Editor include the periods of source pull, subcite, and technical edits. Line editing is a prerequisite for senior masthead positions such as Editor-in-Chief or Executive Editor. Line Editing is a roughly 20-30 hour commitment that runs through November.

Line Editor applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Please fill out the Line Editor application form by August 5, 11:59 PM if you would like a decision in time to bring an updated copy of your resume to EIP/PIIP (note that the times in survey are a bit different - please defer to the times listed here). The application can be found here: https://[link redacted]/forms/TldPx7gqZquByPoq2. If you wish to apply after this time, please email Alex Noonan at jolt.tech.editor@gmail.com to see if positions are still open.

Transfer applicants will also need to complete a short Bluebook test with their application. To receive the Bluebook test, please email jolt.tech.editor@gmail.com. This test should take no more than 2 hours and is due at the same time as the application.

Please e-mail Alex Noonan, our Technical Editor, at jolt.tech.editor@gmail.com if you have any questions about the role or application process.

SUBCITERS

If you have no prior journal experience, you can sign up to be a Subciter. There is no application process for this role and recruiting will begin after classes start. Subciting is roughly a 5-10 hour time commitment, and those who subcite become eligible to apply for a Line Editor position the following semester.

DIGEST

JOLT Digest is the online companion to our journal. There are a number of ways to get involved in Digest, including writing and editing articles and student Comments. Sign-ups will begin in the early fall. Take a look at Digest here: http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest.

SUBMISSIONS MANAGERS

Because JOLT is the top-ranked specialty law journal in the country, we receive hundreds of article submissions each year, on everything from patents to cybersecurity to stem cells. The Submissions staff comb through those articles, searching for scholarship that is original, interesting, well-written, and timely, and select the articles that will be published in the next volume of JOLT.

If this is of interest to you, consider applying to be a Submissions Manager. Submissions Managers assist the Submissions Editor in deciding which articles to publish. Please note that in order to be an SM you'll need to be available to start reviewing articles ASAP. August is a rush month for us and we want you to be a part of it!

Why Submissions is great:
[*] Read about areas of the law that interest you. If you're reading this, you're probably already interested in law and technology — but the 1L curriculum doesn't give you much of a chance to explore patents, copyright, cyberlaw or cleantech. Through Submissions, we do!
[*] Learn about legal scholarship/publishing. If you're interested in pursuing a career in legal academia, you'll have to publish in student-run journals. We'll show you how the process works, and why some articles get published while others aren't even read.
[*] Join a community of tech geeks. Submissions people are all super passionate about the intersection of law and technology. We like to talk about it — especially over food.
[*] Submissions Manager is a masthead position.

If this sounds interesting to you, send your resume and a quick blurb indicating your main interest areas Parth Sagdeo, our Submissions Editor, at jolt.submissions@gmail.com. You will receive the Submissions Review Guide as well as a recent submission to review. Based on your review and other qualifications, we'll make a decision. Please also email Parth if you have any questions about the role or application process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”