Transfers at OCI Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfers at OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Hey all,
What is the consensus concerning transfer performance in the middle of the T14? Does it really just boil down to interviewing skills or do transfers struggle to land firm jobs at these schools (Harvard to Duke range)? Any inputs from personal experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

caseysho

New

Re: Transfers at OCI

Post by caseysho » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 pm

I transferred into Texas and had no problem during OCI. I'd check how many lottery spots are available as it may be more difficult to get preselected by a firm if you haven't already had contact with them. Getting in as a transfer means your grades are good. Good grades + good personality = interest from firms. Also, talking about why you transferred is a great way to show your commitment to a market, practice group, etc. It was the first thing addressed in almost all my interviews and was a great starting point.

I'd just double check to make sure you will get in prior to the OCI cutoff date; I know a few of my fellow transfers didn't find out in time to drop resumes and had to scramble.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm facing a situation where BigLaw is pretty much a lock from my 1L school (ranked in the upper 30s) and I'm concerned that a transfer to a school, even in the middle of the T14, is riskier than just staying put. However, I'm also concerned about the pedigree of my current school keeping me from some follow on opportunities should I decide to leave BigLaw later in life.

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm facing a situation where BigLaw is pretty much a lock from my 1L school (ranked in the upper 30s) and I'm concerned that a transfer to a school, even in the middle of the T14, is riskier than just staying put. However, I'm also concerned about the pedigree of my current school keeping me from some follow on opportunities should I decide to leave BigLaw later in life.
Once you're in big law, your law school doesn't matter thaaaaaat much unless you're concerned about your network. Big law firms have plenty of connections for going in house, to government, or to academia. I've actually found that having two law school networks to cling to has been advantageous, especially if they are in different geographic markets. I transferred from a school in Boston (in the 20s) to UT and have really benefitted from being able to connect with people in the northeast as well as Texas legal markets. Personally, I think that if you're transferring just for the name of the school, it might not be worth it financially (losing scholarship money, cost of moving). I'd make sure the school is a good fit as a whole and you aren't missing out on any opportunities by making the change (law review, relationship with professors).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”