Should I Transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I Transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:42 pm

:)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I Transfer? T50 w/ $$ to T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm

bump

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 pm

DC Big Law will be tough at your current school but might be even tougher if you transfer.

As for your non-big-law goals, it's possible that transferring could help a bit in the long term, but--and this is entirely anecdotal--I've noticed that DOJ EOIR is less prestige-focused than other divisions of DOJ.

Given that you have a substantial scholarship at your current school, and considering that I don't see transferring making a big difference for you for DC employment outcomes, I guess I lean toward you not transferring.

No harm in applying though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am

rpupkin wrote:DC Big Law will be tough at your current school but might be even tougher if you transfer.

As for your non-big-law goals, it's possible that transferring could help a bit in the long term, but--and this is entirely anecdotal--I've noticed that DOJ EOIR is less prestige-focused than other divisions of DOJ.

Given that you have a substantial scholarship at your current school, and considering that I don't see transferring making a big difference for you for DC employment outcomes, I guess I lean toward you not transferring.

Thank you. So my current school being in the DC area won't help at all for DC biglaw?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:DC Big Law will be tough at your current school but might be even tougher if you transfer.

Thank you. So my current school being in the DC area won't help at all for DC biglaw?
I didn't say that. The fact that your current school is in DC will help quite a bit. For a student who is targeting the DC market, you're in a much better position than a top 10% student at a T50 in, say, California or New York.

But just because your school's location helps you doesn't mean that DC big law won't be tough. It's a very competitive market, and a student who is top 10% at a school like American or George Mason will have a hit-or-miss shot at big law in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm

If all you want is biglaw, I would just stay put, UVA and GULC don't give someone in your position a meaningfully better chance at biglaw. Someone at the top of their class at e.g. AUWCL is considered pretty desirable if you're not prestige-obsessed, and there is plenty of market-paying biglaw hiring that is not prestige-obsessed to that extent.

But if clerking is truly a high priority, CLS/NYU probably give you opportunities that e.g. AUWCL doesn't, regardless of grades.

With 3/4 scholarship, I feel like I would just stay put. That's a lot of money.

I don't know much about govt, despite being in DC.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Maybe UVA gives you a little leg up (i have no idea), but some SCALIA LAW SCHOOL, students get big law in DC every year

How much debt will you end up with at current school?

edit: just read 3/4 scholarship (and that you're part time), kind of a big gamble to take on an extra $120k of debt to transfer

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 pm

With your goals I would go ahead and send transfer apps (unless there is some disincentive to doing so) but I predict that, at the end of the day, your best option is going to be to stay put.

Given what you are aiming for, it sounds like you have great grades, are in a great location, and have a relatively low debt burden. As others have said, don't throw that away to start out at median at GULC (or even UVA, for that matter).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Something T50 full ride something
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the feedback everyone. My scholarship will get bumped up to cover 90% of tuition this year because of my 1L ranking, but I also plan on going full-time at school in the fall so COA is going to go up. Already sent a couple transfer apps out. I'm tempted to stay though.
You didn't mention in your OP that you were a part-time student. My advice assumed that you were a full-time student as a 1L. I don't know how your part-time status impacts things: it might make it harder to transfer. It will likely make it harder to land big law. You need advice from someone who transferred (or considered transferring) as a part-time student.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:09 pm

rpupkin wrote: You didn't mention in your OP that you were a part-time student. My advice assumed that you were a full-time student as a 1L. I don't know how your part-time status impacts things: it might make it harder to transfer. It will likely make it harder to land big law. You need advice from someone who transferred (or considered transferring) as a part-time student.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:10 pm

LOL did not make law review, sooo that screws up my chances at DC biglaw from my T50.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Welp, going to Harvard, so that's that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xfer999

New

Post by xfer999 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 am

Ha! Good job on the PT to FT transfer. *high-five*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:29 am

xfer999 wrote:Ha! Good job on the PT to FT transfer. *high-five*
LOL thank you! *high-five*
rpupkin wrote:
Hi rpupkin, just wanted to update you!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
xfer999 wrote:Ha! Good job on the PT to FT transfer. *high-five*
LOL thank you! *high-five*
rpupkin wrote:
Hi rpupkin, just wanted to update you!
Wow! Congrats!!

xfer999

New

Re: Should I Transfer?

Post by xfer999 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 am

Although it's pretty niche, it could be useful, or maybe just mildly interesting, to start an unofficial list of schools which have accepted PT transfers. If you happen to be interested in compiling such a list, send me a PM and I can send you my handful of schools from a few years ago. There have been other PT transfers on this forum who might also have anecdotes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”