how much does columbia care about undergrad gpa and lsat Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittergal83

New

how much does columbia care about undergrad gpa and lsat

Post by splittergal83 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently having a panic attack. I go to a t3 law school in NYC ranked ~ top 2%. I am applying to CLS, NYU and Fordham. I did really bad in undergrad because of health problems ~2.8 GPA and a 155 LSAT score. Do you guys think CLS really takes into consideration UGPA and LSAT :( CLS is my dream law school. I worked so hard to turn everything around. UGHHHH.

Joscellin

Gold

Re: how much does columbia care about undergrad gpa and lsat

Post by Joscellin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 am

Generally speaking the only thing that matters is your 1L grades and school.

The only way I can imagine UG gpa really getting a consideration is if it had other red flags along with it, such as academic discipline - and even that can be explained.

I would imagine you have a good shot.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Joscellin wrote:Generally speaking the only thing that matters is your 1L grades and school.

The only way I can imagine UG gpa really getting a consideration is if it had other red flags along with it, such as academic discipline - and even that can be explained.

I would imagine you have a good shot.
Columbia couldn't care less for UGPA or LSAT at the transfer level. Just take my word

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 pm

I was top 2% at a NY TTT and got into Columbia. LSAT was a 154. But UGPA was a 3.5. FWIW.

lollollol

New

Post by lollollol » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 am

Don't really think CLS cares these two, but if u r still worried (I think w/ ur 1L GPA you r fine), try to follow up w/ them to update ur L. Rev. & pre-OCI interviews for the NY market (if ur school allows that). Best of luck!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aj1221

New

Post by aj1221 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am

Last edited by aj1221 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

I don't think UG GPA and LSAT matter in 1L transfers. Problem is a lot of people from GWU, Brooklyn, Fordham, Cardozo etc will be vying for Columbia as well and they will have great 1L GPA and great UG GPA.

I also don't know if factors like URM status etc also matter here....

Anyways, don't worry much. You have done what you could and have achieved a grand turnover. I so hope my doubts are proved wrong and a non URM with kickass 1L scores, great prof recommendations etc does make it to Columbia with sub par UG GPA.

Apply to Georgetown as well if region is not a big deal to you.

P.S : I suggest you apply to transfer to GW, Fordham UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine as well. You should have a safety net. God forbid , if Columbia does not work out, you will at least have one T1 option to fall back upon. Having plan B and plan C is always beneficial if you have a dent in your past, when it comes to competitive programmes.

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 am

aj1221 wrote:Edited - of course was proven wrong this morning. Yes definitely seems like gpa/lsat doesn't matter ( <2.5 uGPA).
Congrats.

By the way I am curious - does URM/Non URM and other softs matter when it comes to Law School transfer? Or is it just the 1L GPA, Prof recommendations etc.

Once again, congrats. You made a grand turnaround!

If you can, can you share your OL and 1L prep strategy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”