Is it worth trying to transfer? TT-T14? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it worth trying to transfer? TT-T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Ok. I've been reading the transfer numbers and I know I have a good shot at the T14, maybe even CCN. But since getting back my second semester grades, I'm starting to feel I should probably stay put.

Here's some info:

Current attending TT, think SMU/UH/Baylor. I'm 4th in the class with a 3.764 on a 2.8-3.2 required curve. I have a 60% scholarship so will graduate with about 60k in debt. My main goal is Big Law so I think I have that nailed down no matter what now. I would like to do a fed clerkship but could care less if its CoA or not and it wouldn't break my heart if I missed that opportunity entirely. As far as practice location, I would like to stay in Texas, leaving only for D.C. or NYC (but with the higher cost in living, I don't feel dead-set on either, just open to the possibility).

So is there any reason to try to transfer? More debt and not necessarily more opportunities. I'm fine with Big Law in general, it doesnt have to be a V10 or anything like that. And my school, from what I've gathered, does not renegotiate scholarships with those threatening to leave so I dont have that motivation either (apparently they get enough transfers in each year from TTT and TTTT to offset anyone leaving).

I think I already know the answer, but I guess I'm looking for others' opinions. Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Is it worth trying to transfer? TT-T14?

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I think you're good where you are at.

law9898

New

Post by law9898 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:32 pm

If you're at SMU/Houston you're pretty darn safe. Baylor is still probably fine and not worth the extra debt unless you absolutely hate the school.

With those kind of grades, if you don't get Biglaw it will be because of poor interviewing or something of that nature. That can't really be fixed by transferring up the ladder

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Nah. Stay where you are at. Does your school have a history of renegotiating scholarships? That might be the only reason to throw transfer apps out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone! OP here.

Yeah, not Baylor. And I like to think I'm not terrible in interviews lol.

And no, unfortunately they don't renegotiate scholarships since the school is a feeder for transfers of much lower ranked Texas schools. They don't really need me to stay.

But I feel much better now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I would like to stay in Texas,
why not UT?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I would like to stay in Texas,
why not UT?
Probably end up costing more since they've got a nice scholarship at their current school

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

true, but why not throw an app at Austin, since it sounds like it might be instate. Current school may up the $$ to keep the OP.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Big Dog wrote:true, but why not throw an app at Austin, since it sounds like it might be instate. Current school may up the $$ to keep the OP.
Anonymous User wrote: And my school, from what I've gathered, does not renegotiate scholarships with those threatening to leave so I dont have that motivation either (apparently they get enough transfers in each year from TTT and TTTT to offset anyone leaving).

I think I already know the answer, but I guess I'm looking for others' opinions. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Big Dog wrote:true, but why not throw an app at Austin, since it sounds like it might be instate. Current school may up the $$ to keep the OP.
OP here. Yeah, as someone stated below, school won't renegotiate. Thats what I've heard from upper classmates, a former assistant dean, and others.

I would love to go to UT (was waitlisted originally), but outside of Austin, I can't see being at a significant disadvantage to UT alum with my current ranking. At least, not enough to warrant an extra 50-60k in debt with the loss of my scholarship. Applying to UT was definitely a plan if I barely missed Top 10%, I think it would've been worth it then.

habeas2210

Bronze

Post by habeas2210 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Same position as you last year. My 1L school offered full ride + stipend to stay. But, opted to attend UT. Definitely worth it to me. To each their own, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:29 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”