Advice for transfer from T22 to CCN Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for transfer from T22 to CCN

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I just received my grades this morning and I have 3.72 for the 1L year. I am currently at a top 22 school, but my main target is Chicago or New York. want to go big firms in corporate law. based on the class rank last semester, I guess I am around top10%. I am not a native-English speaker and I kinda look up to the rank. Also, my boyfriend is in Chicago. I have graduate in law in Chicago as well. The school would not release the exact class rank until mid-June.

In the meantime, I have some questions regarding my application:
1. Do I have a chance at UChicago or Columbia? I have two internships in Chicago in one public sector and one federal district court this summer.
2. If the school has not released the class rank until mid-June, should I wait for the rank or submit my application first without indicating my rank? Should I email the admission office to send them an updated one later?
3. I would also like to apply for NYU and Northwestern. How is the chance of these two schools?

Thank you!

sanzgo

New

Re: Advice for transfer from T22 to CCN

Post by sanzgo » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

I just received my grades this morning and I have 3.72 for the 1L year. I am currently at a top 22 school, but my main target is Chicago or New York. want to go big firms in corporate law. based on the class rank last semester, I guess I am around top10%. I am not a native-English speaker and I kinda look up to the rank. Also, my boyfriend is in Chicago. I have graduate in law in Chicago as well. The school would not release the exact class rank until mid-June.

1. Do I have a chance at UChicago or Columbia? I have two internships in Chicago in one public sector and one federal district court this summer.
2. If the school has not released the class rank until mid-June, should I wait for the rank or submit my application first without indicating my rank? Should I email the admission office to send them an updated one later?
3. I would also like to apply for NYU and Northwestern. How is the chance of these two schools?

Thank you!
"you look up to the rank?" is that another way of saying you want prestige? lol

"I have a graduate in law in Chicago as well" did you mean family in law?

class-rank is always more important than gpa. that being said, i think you have a chance at columbia and a slimmer one at chicago. you're right around the transfer median for columbia and right about the 25% for chicago (of course, class rank is supreme but since your gpa is all we have to go by for now...). you prob have a higher chance than both these schools at nyu though. with northwestern, you have an above-avg chance i'd say but whatever your chances really are, just apply. doesn't hurt.

i'd just send in your app as soon as it's ready even if you don't have your class rank yet.

btw, given your english, you kinda sound like an international. if not (you were born in the US but grew up elsewhere), that's fine. but if you're an international, you may want to look into which of these schools will allow you to use CPT instead of OPT for summer employment. that'll come in handy later for visa issues.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for transfer from T22 to CCN

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 1:47 am

sanzgo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you!
"you look up to the rank?" is that another way of saying you want prestige? lol

"I have a graduate in law in Chicago as well" did you mean family in law?

class-rank is always more important than gpa. that being said, i think you have a chance at columbia and a slimmer one at chicago. you're right around the transfer median for columbia and right about the 25% for chicago (of course, class rank is supreme but since your gpa is all we have to go by for now...). you prob have a higher chance than both these schools at nyu though. with northwestern, you have an above-avg chance i'd say but whatever your chances really are, just apply. doesn't hurt.

i'd just send in your app as soon as it's ready even if you don't have your class rank yet.

btw, given your english, you kinda sound like an international. if not (you were born in the US but grew up elsewhere), that's fine. but if you're an international, you may want to look into which of these schools will allow you to use CPT instead of OPT for summer employment. that'll come in handy later for visa issues.
thank you!
yes, I am an international so thanks for your reminder on the visa issue!
prestige is kinda important to me so that is part of the reason I am inclined to transfer.
I am sorry that I did not say clearly about graduate in Chicago. I mean I have a LLM degree in Chicago. I wish school can give the class rank soon but they replied me today that it won't be released until mid-June.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”