T4 to T1 or T14? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T4 to T1 or T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here and was curious about your opinions about my admissions chances for a few schools.

LS in TX, half-tuition scholarship, no debt currently. Willing to take on debt for a better shot at what I think is best for my career plans. I prefer a fed clerkship upon graduating over big law (though big law is in my sights soon thereafter). I dunno if that's ill-advised; I am just a 1L.

Stats:
top 10% (.03 outside top5)
fall LGPA - 3.80
spring - tbd

Summer plans:
State judge internship
da internship

I know w/o spring grades this is merely speculation, but I feel like I was as prepared, if not more, for finals the second time. Also, once I get my spring grades I plan to send out apps ASAP.

Eventually I see my self back in TX, but I am open to practicing initially in DC, NY or some other place with potentially invaluable experience. I have family living in DC, ATL, and San Fran. None are in the legal field.

Schools: (from most favored to least generally)

UT
Vandy
Berkeley*
Duke*
Emory
W&L
SMU
CU* - not sure whether I'd want to live in CO for life, which is huge for them. Big question mark for me right now.
Wake forest*
UGA*
UNC*

Any thoughts or tips in applying to any of these schools in particular? Ease of qualifying for in-state for NC or GA? (CO's process is ez it seems)

Also, I may remove some T14s and some lower on the list (starred) because either I think too slim of chances or they're redundant. Then again, I am reluctant to eliminate schools before applying, because I feel I did not throw a wide enough net when I originally applied to law school. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

runinthefront

Gold

Re: T4 to T1 or T14?

Post by runinthefront » Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here and was curious about your opinions about my admissions chances for a few schools.

LS in TX, half-tuition scholarship, no debt currently. Willing to take on debt for a better shot at what I think is best for my career plans. I prefer a fed clerkship upon graduating over big law (though big law is in my sights soon thereafter). I dunno if that's ill-advised; I am just a 1L.

Stats:
top 10% (.03 outside top5)
fall LGPA - 3.80
spring - tbd

Summer plans:
State judge internship
da internship

I know w/o spring grades this is merely speculation, but I feel like I was as prepared, if not more, for finals the second time. Also, once I get my spring grades I plan to send out apps ASAP.

Eventually I see my self back in TX, but I am open to practicing initially in DC, NY or some other place with potentially invaluable experience. I have family living in DC, ATL, and San Fran. None are in the legal field.

Schools: (from most favored to least generally)

UT
Vandy
Berkeley*
Duke*
Emory
W&L
SMU
CU* - not sure whether I'd want to live in CO for life, which is huge for them. Big question mark for me right now.
Wake forest*
UGA*
UNC*

Any thoughts or tips in applying to any of these schools in particular? Ease of qualifying for in-state for NC or GA? (CO's process is ez it seems)

Also, I may remove some T14s and some lower on the list (starred) because either I think too slim of chances or they're redundant. Then again, I am reluctant to eliminate schools before applying, because I feel I did not throw a wide enough net when I originally applied to law school. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)
Burn the $ and apply to the entire T13, minus Harvard and Stanford. Of the non-t13s on the list you gave, I'd only apply to UT, Vanderbilt, and maybe Emory. The other schools won't give you any better of a shot at a federal clerkship/biglaw as a transfer than being top 5-10% at your current T4. Good luck!

ETA: Upon re-reading, I see that you weren't exactly asking opinions re: whether transferring to somewhere like Wake Forest would be wise; you've always determined that it would be, given your goals. Fair enough. I still think you should cast a wider net to the T13, and you should look at the 509 reports (just google "[law school name] 509 report") to see how many transfers at your targt schools matriculate from law schools similar to yours in rankings
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Generic1L

New

Re: T4 to T1 or T14?

Post by Generic1L » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 am

I think you've got a very good shot at Texas. I'll focus there, since that's your top choice.

A buddy of mine works in admissions at UT and tells me there's a quota on in-state transfers from each school. I know that cap is near capacity for South Texas, if that's where you're at. If I were you, I would submit my app now and update them once your final transcript arrives.

Congrats on your stellar grades and good-luck with this semester!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”