Tier 1 chances of higher end of T14/increasing scholly at current school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tier 1 chances of higher end of T14/increasing scholly at current school

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I'll be short and sweet. Not sold on transferring, but wondering about chances to transfer from ~30-40 ranked school with 3.8x GPA (all A, couple A-, one B+). What are chances of getting into the higher end T14 schools (like HYSCCN, and a school like UVA)?

Further, has anyone been successful in using their 1L grades just to increase scholarship at their school? I guess I frequently see people applying to transfer and using that "threat" of transfer to increase scholarship. I have almost a full, only have to pay, including living expenses, about 5k a year. That's why I would be hesitant in leaving, but I'd like to use my grades to potentially increase that scholarship to fill that gap...

Thanks! Been a while since I've been on this site.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Tier 1 chances of higher end of T14/increasing scholly at current school

Post by lymenheimer » Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 pm

How can you have all As, but a couple A- and B+?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 12:25 pm

lymenheimer wrote:How can you have all As, but a couple A- and B+?
That was confusing. My bad. The all should be removed. One B+, couple A-, rest A. 3.8x gpa. Thanks for pointing that out.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I think you should apply to all the T3/T6 that you'd be interested in attending. You've got a great shot at CCN, good to okay shot at HYS. Just based on the 509 disclosures.

I have heard of people successfully negotiating increases in scholarships, but pretty rarely. No one outright offered with me when I was transferring from T40 to T6--I didn't ask because I knew I was outta there--but of the two other prospective transfers out, one had an offer at HLS and the administration increased her to full ride. Another had an offer at Michigan and the school told him no chance. Diversity considerations may also have played a role. I would definitely ask if you think you'd seriously stay with a scholarship increase. If you're gonna transfer no matter what, I'm not sure it's worth requesting.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 am

NoDayButToday wrote:I think you should apply to all the T3/T6 that you'd be interested in attending. You've got a great shot at CCN, good to okay shot at HYS. Just based on the 509 disclosures.

I have heard of people successfully negotiating increases in scholarships, but pretty rarely. No one outright offered with me when I was transferring from T40 to T6--I didn't ask because I knew I was outta there--but of the two other prospective transfers out, one had an offer at HLS and the administration increased her to full ride. Another had an offer at Michigan and the school told him no chance. Diversity considerations may also have played a role. I would definitely ask if you think you'd seriously stay with a scholarship increase. If you're gonna transfer no matter what, I'm not sure it's worth requesting.
Good to okay shot at HYS? Come on. There is virtually no chance at YS and H is also pretty far from even an okay chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 am

Shootin wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:I think you should apply to all the T3/T6 that you'd be interested in attending. You've got a great shot at CCN, good to okay shot at HYS. Just based on the 509 disclosures.

Good to okay shot at HYS? Come on. There is virtually no chance at YS and H is also pretty far from even an okay chance.
Yale is a long shot for anyone, especially since they seem to just take lower T14 people, but Stanford's transfer median last year was 3.88 and Harvard's midrange started in the 3.8s. OP has a good to okay shot at Harvard and Stanford.

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am

NoDayButToday wrote:
Shootin wrote:

Yale is a long shot for anyone, especially since they seem to just take lower T14 people, but Stanford's transfer median last year was 3.88 and Harvard's midrange started in the 3.8s. OP has a good to okay shot at Harvard and Stanford.
Okay. 3.88 for Stanford and how many of those were out of T10? (Well now that Berkeley is out of T10, let's say t14) One person. Wouldn't you say that, chances are, that person probably came with the highest gpa that is probably like right next to 4.0? Simply being at their median from OPs school and having the same gpa as ppl from much more renowned schools will not be enough.

Harvard had a median of 3.94 and I don't really see what gives OP a good to okay chance there being below median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”