Transfer from T2 -> best shot at big law Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
joefresh

New

Transfer from T2 -> best shot at big law

Post by joefresh » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

Last edited by joefresh on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joefresh

New

Re: Transfer from T2 -> best shot at big law

Post by joefresh » Thu May 18, 2017 1:15 pm

someone plz respond :(

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 pm

I think your best bet is to look into Columbia/NYU if you want Big law as a transfer. But isn't GULC ED binding to the extent that if you transfer, it has to be to GULC? In which case, you'd be stuck with either GULC or staying. What kind of Biglaw chances are there at your current school according to jobs reports? And why is cost not at all an issue?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Thu May 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Last edited by joefresh on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Have you looked at Columbia/NYU 509 reports for their transfer classes? The 509s are much more telling about your chances of transferring than us chancing you here. That's probably the best advice anyone here can realistically give: look to the 509s for guidance, make your application as strong as possible, and just see what happens. GULC would obviously be a big improvement in terms of Biglaw chances, and if money is truly not an issue for your family (I doubt that's the case and more likely you have very generous parents who are taking on extra financial stress to fund your education, but that's for your family to worry about, not me), then you should transfer to GULC understanding you have approximately a 50% chance of Biglaw there. That's a huge financial gamble for you and your family to make, but if that's an acceptable ROI for ~$160k investment, then go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

GULC hate is relative to its peers in the (former) T14. Nothing has actually changed about GULC's standing in the legal community. It is a school that places nationally, albeit at a lesser rate than its peers that also place nationally. This is due to being oversized, accepting large transfer classes (no offense), being incredibly expensive, and giving its graduates at best a 50% of landing in Biglaw or a federal clerkship. Apologists will point to the number of graduates going into government and PI, which surely accounts for a few extra points of quality outcomes, but the fact is GULC does not place as well in desirable outcomes relative to those ranked immediately above them in the USNWR.

You're likely only seeing/recognizing the GULC bashing, but it's actually a bit more nuanced than that. It places nationally, so it should be considered among the likes of NU, Cornell, etc. in terms of legal employment prestige, but because it's such a huge pool of graduates GULC churns out every year, it's a lot tougher relative to those peers to be placed into Biglaw or federal clerkships.

Don't worry about the TLS hive mind and what it pokes fun at from time to time. Realize the job stats at http://www.lstreports.com should be your only consideration if cost is irrelevant to your personal situation.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 18, 2017 3:18 pm

GULC has an absolutely massive class and massive transfer class. I think you are better off transferring to somewhere like Northwestern if you can't crack NYU/Columbia.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Any T14 other than Georgetown that allows transfers to do OCI. Apply broadly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joefresh

New

Post by joefresh » Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Transfer2016

New

Post by Transfer2016 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Shot at CCN, especially if closer to top 5%. I'd apply to MVPN as well, but I'm not sure V and P take many transfers. I went to Michigan and the transfers seemed to do very well at OCI.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat May 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Transfer2016 wrote:Shot at CCN, especially if closer to top 5%. I'd apply to MVPN as well, but I'm not sure V and P take many transfers. I went to Michigan and the transfers seemed to do very well at OCI.
Two of the last three years, UVA hasn't taken transfers according to 509s. That could be because they didn't accept any or because none of those they accepted decided to attend, but take that for what you will. The year they did was in the 5-12 person transfer class with a 50th GPA of 3.74.

Penn seems to generally take more transfers, by comparison. And the GPAs are similar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”