Transfer PS questions Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer PS questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm currently applying to transfer to HYS and have a few questions about the PS:

1) Since I didn't apply to HYS as a 0L, should/can I reuse my old PS?
2) Do I need to add stuff about 1L year?
3) Do I need to talk about why I'm choosing to leave my current school? I'm leaning toward just focusing on why HYS is a better fit for me.
4) Should the PS sound more like a why X school statement or a 0L PS?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

Ever196

New

Re: Transfer PS questions

Post by Ever196 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 pm

I can only post based on what I did this cycle for my transfer application but maybe that will help. I reused part of my 1L statement, however, I revamped the second half of it to focus more on the school I was applying to. I also did add a section talking about my 1L year. You've experienced a year of law school now and are applying to another law school so it seems appropriate to write about your experience as a 1L. I will say (however) that while the personal statement is marginally important for 1L admissions, there is a ton of evidence to suggest that transfer admissions is purely a numbers game. Focus on providing a clear and concise "writing sample" in you PS but dont go crazy over it. (sorry if my grammar is a mess, it has been a very long day).

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm

I totally rewrote mine (in like a couple hours - it wasn't some huge undertaking). I mostly tried to explain why I wanted to transfer and sell myself as someone who could be a successful transfer student. I explained that I didn't understand just how important school rankings were when I applied to law school (I clearly hadn't found TLS) and tried to convince them I was a hard worker and good at law school and could therefore handle the new school. I didn't even mention anything specific about the schools I was applying to (and didn't always even plug in their name); mostly just made clear I was looking to transfer to a very-top-ranked school.

In the end, though, I think that it's mostly a numbers-driven process. I was #1 at my T30ish school with pretty perfect grades and I'm sure that did most of the work. It certainly wasn't my undergrad or my LSAT or anything like that.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 am

Goldie wrote:I mostly tried to explain why I wanted to transfer and sell myself as someone who could be a successful transfer student.
This^

I wrote PS's carefully tailored to the two schools where I was applying (Harvard and NYU), and discussed which specific opportunities I hoped to pursue if I was accepted so they would have a picture of what kind of student I would be and consequently what I brought to their student body.

I definitely would not write a 0L-esque essay, even if AdComms leave the prompt open ended. Transferring is risky--it's a major tuition+COA cost increase for most people and it can mean forgoing Law Review membership, your rank, and clerkship recs from 1L profs. So I think it's important to make clear, keeping the risks in the back of your mind, why you think transferring is the right decision for you nevertheless. And obviously you're selling yourself to them, so it's important to convey why you're valuable and why they should take you.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Se7enChop

New

Post by Se7enChop » Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 am

Ever196 wrote:I can only post based on what I did this cycle for my transfer application but maybe that will help. I reused part of my 1L statement, however, I revamped the second half of it to focus more on the school I was applying to. I also did add a section talking about my 1L year. You've experienced a year of law school now and are applying to another law school so it seems appropriate to write about your experience as a 1L. I will say (however) that while the personal statement is marginally important for 1L admissions, there is a ton of evidence to suggest that transfer admissions is purely a numbers game. Focus on providing a clear and concise "writing sample" in you PS but dont go crazy over it. (sorry if my grammar is a mess, it has been a very long day).
This. I also used part of my 1L statement. I obviously worked in stuff about my 1L year and why I thought I was prepared to succeed as a transfer student. So I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 am

Mine was about what I want to practice and why I want to transfer. I targeted it to each school explaining why they offer me the best shot at my goals. Your transfer PS should be individually targeted to each school. It's not that hard since you're only going to apply to a handful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”