GULC or wait for NU/NYU/Columbia Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC or wait for NU/NYU/Columbia

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello,

I was recently accepted to GULC via EA. Law review is in May and housing would be finalized before OCIs, giving me more time to focus on the job search since my internship is from May to early Aug. I ultimately want to end up in D.C. or NYC doing corporate law at a V100. I have family and networks in both cities. Should I take the risk of applying and waiting for a letter of admission late in the game (June-Aug), completing law review during the first week of school in September, and searching for housing at NU/NYU/Columbia before/during OCIs or be conservative and assume I'm going to attend GULC? I'm worried I'm spreading myself too thin with the limited amount of time I have to decide.

I don't have my full semester grades yet but I was in the 15% my first semester.

Any feedback / thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Generic1L

New

Re: GULC or wait for NU/NYU/Columbia

Post by Generic1L » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Since you wanna end up in those markets, it would make sense to wait for NYU/CLS (Northwestern too, but I'm assuming you're shooting for the other two more).

I would put my deposits into GULC, and wait out the summer for responses. It puts a little extra work on you, but then again, you're already used to it from completing transfer apps while still working on 1L.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 am

Generic1L wrote: I would put my deposits into GULC, and wait out the summer for responses. It puts a little extra work on you, but then again, you're already used to it from completing transfer apps while still working on 1L.

Agreed.

I moved to New York to transfer on about 5 days notice. It's very all doable (if stressful). Definitely apply.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 am

Wait it out until 1-2 week before EIW/OCI bidding deadlines (transfer here). You most likely won't make LR and may make a secondary journal (which isn't super useful, but good to have) so I wouldn't worry about that too much tbh. You're in a good place...just be patient!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 am

Wait for NYU/CLS. I did GULC EA, paid the two deposits, and then got into CLS in early July. That was plenty of time to find a place to live in NY, as the housing market is always flooded with rooms for rent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks all, I'm going to wait it out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”