Is it possible to transfer after 2L year? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
otisredding

New

Is it possible to transfer after 2L year?

Post by otisredding » Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 pm

I attend a T2 regional school on a 3/4 ride and thankfully no debt; however - I made the mistake of attending a school in a region that I do not have a desire to practice in. I had grades slightly below median 1L year, and as a result did not have any luck with OCI. I will be working as an intern in-house this summer.

Last semester, I had 3 As and a B+. I just finished exams, but if I put up grades similar to last semester, is there any chance that an elite school would take me in?

I understand that most schools only accept 1L transfers, and if one were to take me in, they would not honor more than 1L year's credits. However, is it theoretically possible to transfer after 2L? I would not want to be a visiting student, and would be willing to repeat 2L year if an elite school were to take me in with the opportunity to participate in OCI.

Generic1L

New

Re: Is it possible to transfer after 2L year?

Post by Generic1L » Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 pm

It's on a school-by-school basis, I believe. Check out each school's website and look for their transfer information.

For example, Georgetown has no distinction on 1L/2E's because the cut-off for transfers is 35 credits. This is probably because GULC also offers a part-time program.

However, Virginia only allows incoming 2L transfers with 2 full semesters of work
Last edited by Generic1L on Thu May 11, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Is it possible to transfer after 2L year?

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm not sure the cost justifies what you have to gain, but I bet many schools would consider you as a post-2L transfer. They would just say you essentially do have to repeat 2L year. NYU didn't even take all of my 1L credits--they capped at 30, because that's what their 1Ls take. It would suck if you had to retake requirements like PR or Con Law or something purely because they didn't transfer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”